PDA

View Full Version : Gypsum

Steven Resnick
02-23-2010, 1:48 PM
Does anyone know of a source for gypsum coasters??

Thanks,
Steven

Larry Bratton
02-23-2010, 2:36 PM
Don't know of one, but just thought it strange that anyone would want a coaster made of gypsum, given it's non-water proof characteristics. Unless there is something other than what I am thinking about. I think of gypsum as being sheetrock for wallboard. Maybe that's what a coaster is supposed to do, absorb liquid, but it can't be very durable.

Dan Hintz
02-23-2010, 4:41 PM
Gypsum is quite fragile and wouldn't stand up to the abuse seen as a coaster... are you sure you didn't mean something else?

Steven Resnick
02-23-2010, 4:53 PM
That is what Thirstystone calls it.
They will not sell it blank only with there images on it.
They say it comes from China.
They are really good coasters as well.
Here is a link to there site.
http://www.thirstystone.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VFLSU&Category_Code=COLLEGIATE-FLSU&Product_Count=1

Frank Corker
02-23-2010, 5:47 PM
I also think of gypsum as being something quite fragile. Are you sure the reference isn't to colour? They state that they are absorbent but the ones there appear to be pad printed.

Larry Bratton
02-23-2010, 5:52 PM
I found several sites that advertise these as SANDSTONE.

Steven Resnick
02-23-2010, 7:51 PM
Larry,
Yes you are correct that there are a lot of sites out there that sell the sandstone.
This is what Thirstystone is calling it. I have some from them and it is a very soft material. So I'm not sure if it is really gypsum or something else.
Just trying to find a source that will sell them blank.

Joe Pelonio
02-23-2010, 8:19 PM
After a little research, I find that you can get the sandstone ones from China, minimum order 5,000. There are also places selling them imprinted on a "man made" material. Try searching "absorbent coasters". Most of them seem to be cork backed, so that would add strength.

Bill Cunningham
02-23-2010, 9:16 PM
You could always cut a Shamwow into 4" circles and put em on a corkbacking :D

Joe Pelonio
02-23-2010, 11:27 PM
You could always cut a Shamwow into 4" circles and put em on a corkbacking :D

They could sell for $19.95 - BUT WAIT!!

Andrea Weissenseel
02-24-2010, 3:54 AM
I wonder what they look like, after you have them in use for a while - especially when coffee or tea drips on them. If the sandstone soaks liquid up, wouldn't it leave the stains on top ?

Steven Resnick
02-24-2010, 2:10 PM
They clean up with Cool Bleach Water

I wonder what they look like, after you have them in use for a while - especially when coffee or tea drips on them. If the sandstone soaks liquid up, wouldn't it leave the stains on top ?

Joe Pelonio
02-24-2010, 7:16 PM
They clean up with Cool Bleach Water
What about Oxyclean!

Scott Shepherd
02-24-2010, 7:27 PM
Joe, step away from the tv at 4:00 in the morning...... :D

Bill Cunningham
03-04-2010, 8:54 PM
Careful Joe.. You could be following the camera guy and get slap chopped at midnight by Vince himself :D

Ha.. I doubt if anyone outside of North America even knows what were talking about...:rolleyes:

Dan Hintz
03-05-2010, 7:56 AM
Ha.. I doubt if anyone outside of North America even knows what were talking about...:rolleyes:
I sometimes wonder if anyone inside North America knows what you're talking about... :D

Bill Cunningham
03-09-2010, 7:39 PM
I sometimes wonder if anyone inside North America knows what you're talking about... :D

You simply gotta turn off the p:eek:rn watch more late night infomercials Dan.. :rolleyes: