PDA

View Full Version : foam cover for tool handles

jason lambert
02-23-2010, 1:47 PM
Anyone know were to buy the foam covers similar to the ones monster tools sells to cover his handles. I have a couple on the few tools I have left of his that deteriated and split that I need to replace.

steven carter
02-23-2010, 2:08 PM
Jason,

Sorry, I don't know where to get the foam grips. I am making some carbide roughing tools, and am covering the 1" handles with braided tubing from a Lowe's. It feels nice and I'm thinking it will hold up nicely also.

Steve

Richard Madison
02-23-2010, 2:13 PM
Dunno about foam but golf club grips are available at the pro shop.

Scott Lux
02-23-2010, 2:53 PM
You might check bicycles shops for foam grips. They'll have some very nice foam tape too.

John Keeton
02-23-2010, 3:05 PM
You can also use the athletic tape similar to what Rob Cosman uses on his fretsaw. I have done that with other tools, and produces a little bit of cushion and just the right amount of grip.

Frank Van Atta
02-23-2010, 3:22 PM
Depending on the size, you might be able to use foam pipe insulation . . .

jason lambert
02-23-2010, 3:26 PM
Golf club grip is nice but to thin, the bike stuff doesn't hold up well same as pipe wrap I need the real dense foam like what they wrap gym handles with. Randies is ok some held up and some didn't but I would use it again since it is easy to replace.

Bob Bergstrom
02-23-2010, 4:55 PM
Easiest way to get bike wraps on is to soak them in water first. The water acts as a lubricant and helps them slide. Water dries out and they grip the subsurface.

Bob Borzelleri
02-23-2010, 6:08 PM
Another bike type solution is to pass on the foam or grips and get either leather or rubber like wraps like what's on drop bars for road bikes. Some of the wraps that are available are quite comfortable as well as good for grip.

Eric Dritsas
02-23-2010, 6:17 PM
Tennis racket tape might work, too. Thick and durable

Gary Conklin
02-23-2010, 8:30 PM
Might I be so bold as to suggest contacting Randy???

Steve Kubien
02-23-2010, 9:02 PM
I have a few 1" aluminum handles which I used the braided tubing on. Love 'em.

Bill Noce
02-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Check out McMasters-Carr theyhave all kinds of foam handles. I have made my own Aluminum handles and use their foam material.

Jeff Nicol
02-24-2010, 6:52 AM
I put in a search for "Foam handle grips" and came up with lots of information. Took me about 30 seconds to find this.

http://www.eezer.com/grips.html

Here is another that will have everything a foam grip user could want!

http://www.grip-tek.com/tubing.html

Jeff

Tony Pridmore
02-24-2010, 7:04 AM
Easiest way to get bike wraps on is to soak them in water first. The water acts as a lubricant and helps them slide. Water dries out and they grip the subsurface.

two more methods....
- Hairspray
- Air gun. Start the grips on, then force air in and it slides right on.

The latter also works great for separating buckets that are stuck together. DAMHIKT

To keep this post on-topic.... I recommend you read Jeff Nicol's post. :D

-Tony

jason lambert
02-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Randy has refused to deal with me, I won't go into details.

I use to manage a bike store I am fimilar with grips, most are not durable enough for what I am looking for. We use to use alcohol to put them on fast drying and no residue left. Tennis racket grip might work better I may look into that. Trouble is most of that bar wrap has to be wrapped in the right direction or the ends currel up, I think on a lathe tool I may put pressure both directions. Also if one section breaks the rest of the grip releases.

I really perfer a durable foam grip. I did google it but have no way of telling the quality, maybe I will have to make some phone calls and get some samples. If I find something good I will post it.