PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Magazine no longer published

Ken Garlock
02-23-2010, 11:16 AM
I received a postcard yesterday telling me that Woodworking Magazine has stopped publication. It has been merged with Popular Woodworking, and the merge is called Popular Woodworking Magazine. People with remaining issues on their Woodworking Magazine subscription will have their subscription converted to the new Popular Woodworking Magazine.

I can't speak for others, but I found the Wood Working Magazine to be one of the better publications. My attraction was NO ads, and factual tools evaluations. The projects were educational, even though they were heavily weighted toward hand tool use.

The question now is, how long will the skeletal remains of WWM remain before it is devoured by the new PWM and forgotten? :rolleyes:

Myk Rian
02-23-2010, 11:19 AM
I get PWWing and like it. No ads. I'm dropping Wood mag because of all the ads.

Matt Winterowd
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm bummed about this too, but for slightly different reasons. Chris Schwartz has explained a bit how the two mags will meld together, but I subscribed to both, and I liked the two distinct flavors. Plus I just liked getting magazines more often. They say that they're going to 7 issues a year total, and focusing more on web content, but I just like getting a new magazine periodically, sitting down in a comfy chair, and perusing it at my leasure.

I work in the high tech industry, but progress isn't always.

Hugh Jardon
02-23-2010, 12:03 PM
... My attraction was NO ads...

The very thing that attracted you will have been what killed it.

The cover price of magazines is not the main earner for them, it is the advertising. Deviations from that business model lead to failure, QED.

Anthony Scott
02-23-2010, 1:30 PM
They gotta make money, so they need ads. I don't mind they woodworking-related ads.

mark kosse
02-23-2010, 2:12 PM
Sure, And I agree. The problem is most magazines are just adds. No real substance, just adds. Several WW mags included.

Rob Young
02-23-2010, 3:26 PM
I received a postcard yesterday telling me that Woodworking Magazine has stopped publication. It has been merged with Popular Woodworking, and the merge is called Popular Woodworking Magazine. People with remaining issues on their Woodworking Magazine subscription will have their subscription converted to the new Popular Woodworking Magazine.

I can't speak for others, but I found the Wood Working Magazine to be one of the better publications. My attraction was NO ads, and factual tools evaluations. The projects were educational, even though they were heavily weighted toward hand tool use.

The question now is, how long will the skeletal remains of WWM remain before it is devoured by the new PWM and forgotten? :rolleyes:

To read more about the changes, straight from the horse's mouth:

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Coming+In+April+The+New+Popular+Woodworking+Magazi ne.aspx

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/More+Answers+To+The+Upcoming+Changes.aspx

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/First+Look+Popular+Woodworking+Magazine.aspx

Kevin Womer
02-23-2010, 5:31 PM
I receive both of them and I did favor the no ads aspect of WW magazine. Popular WW was a different animal but I enjoyed it as well. My appeal is that the website is for the most part, free. I don't understand why Fine WW magazine charges a fee for their website, without a reduced cost for magazine subscribers. My question is why would I need to subscribe to BOTH? I have e-mailed them with my concerns and they really did not give me a straight forward answer. I realize they both need to make money, but what if I wanted to look up something in an issue I have bought myself (the indexing feature). Am I not understanding this correctly? Should I be forced to pay full price for both? Sorry to vent, it just annoys me, and I have not renewed my subscription as a result of this.

Ken Garlock
02-23-2010, 5:37 PM
To read more about the changes, straight from the horse's mouth:

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Coming+In+April+The+New+Popular+Woodworking+Magazi ne.aspx

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/More+Answers+To+The+Upcoming+Changes.aspx

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/First+Look+Popular+Woodworking+Magazine.aspx

Thanks for the references Rob.
Chris makes a good argument for the new magazine. Since I have subscriptions to both, I will see how how it works out. As my father in-law was fond of saying, we can only hope.;)

Van Huskey
02-23-2010, 5:40 PM
I receive both of them and I did favor the no ads aspect of WW magazine. Popular WW was a different animal but I enjoyed it as well. My appeal is that the website is for the most part, free. I don't understand why Fine WW magazine charges a fee for their website, without a reduced cost for magazine subscribers. My question is why would I need to subscribe to BOTH? I have e-mailed them with my concerns and they really did not give me a straight forward answer. I realize they both need to make money, but what if I wanted to look up something in an issue I have bought myself (the indexing feature). Am I not understanding this correctly? Should I be forced to pay full price for both? Sorry to vent, it just annoys me, and I have not renewed my subscription as a result of this.

I feel the same way, I feel like with a paper mag subscription I should at least get a discounted rate on the web content or vice versa. If there wasn't so much overlap I would understand.

tom deryke
02-23-2010, 6:42 PM

I feel the same way about their website, but there is an index available for free.
www.taunton.com/cgi-bin/artresult-fw.cgi
It's not absolutely current, but for poor souls like me who have 200-some issues saved, it's invaluable.

Edward Henderson
02-23-2010, 6:51 PM
" I don't understand why Fine WW magazine charges a fee for their website, without a reduced cost for magazine subscribers"

I was a subscriber to both FWW and FHB and have now switched to the online subscriptions only. I also have a laptop in my shop so their info is available there to me.

I now prefer the online subscriptions.

Kevin Womer
02-23-2010, 8:07 PM
" I don't understand why Fine WW magazine charges a fee for their website, without a reduced cost for magazine subscribers"

I was a subscriber to both FWW and FHB and have now switched to the online subscriptions only. I also have a laptop in my shop so their info is available there to me.

I now prefer the online subscriptions.
I might be joining you, as I do miss Fine WW, but I am not about to pay for both as someone stated, they do "overlap." For both, it would be about 50 dollars a year, quite a bit of money for a subscription for a single source. These magazines need our support, I'd hate to see anymore of them combine or fold up altogether. Thanks for the link to the indexing section previously posted. This forum and its members are impressive to say the least!

Charles Bender
02-24-2010, 6:47 AM
From this side of the magazine (as someone who occassionally contributes) I understand that the new magazine is going to be limited on advertising. There will be no ads in the middle of articles and the overall production quality of the magazine is going to be better. The new issue should be mailing out to subscribers this week I think. I'm pretty excited about it really.