PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut for turning?

Erin Raasch
10-30-2004, 9:09 AM
Our neighbors took down a couple of trees last week - a spruce and a black walnut - and they're cutting it up into lumber today. The walnut is about 30" in diameter, and at one end is a crotch with 2 branches, probably about 12" each. They weren't sure what to do with the crotch and were planning to cut it up for firewood, but LOML told them he thought there might be a better market for it amongst woodturners. So before they cut it up, they want to do a little research.

So with my extremely limited knowledge of turning, and of finding and preparing blanks, what would be the best way to process this chunk of wood? Is it something that would be of value for turning?

Thanks,

Erin

Todd Burch
10-30-2004, 9:38 AM
Erin, not to pop your bubble, but probably not. Wood like this comes along fairly regularly and easily. You night find a turner or two that would be interested in the crotch if the figure is really good, but to determine that, you have to cut in in two along the grain. Then, if it is good, it needs to be sealed right away to minimize surface splits.

If you of the LOYL turn, it surely might be of value to you, since the price was right!!

Now, if you neighrbor digs the root ball up - that is a different matter!!

Todd

Jim Becker
10-30-2004, 10:18 AM
I have to respectifully disagree with Todd. Walnut crotch is prized for platters and I doubt you will have any problem finding takers for the material. If you mill it, 2" thick slabs that bisect both branches of the crotch are what you want. But some turners also prefer to chop it up themselves. Check with the local chapter listings at the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org/) site to find a contact to spread the word. Or do like Donnie, and offer the slabs in the free classifieds at SMC and other woodworking forums.

Todd Burch
10-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Jim, OH YEAH???? !!!! Well, get in line with all the other people who regularly disagree with me!!! :) :) :)

Reminds me of "POINT/COUNTERPOINT" from old SNL with Jim Belushi and Jane Curtain. "Jane, you ignorant #$%@!"

Jim Becker
10-30-2004, 12:09 PM
I do try to be a little more tactful than Mr. Belushi...maybe it's the lack of, umm...certain substances... :D

Steve Clardy
10-30-2004, 8:37 PM
Well. I gota go with Jim too. [Sorry Todd:rolleyes:]
Walnut crotches, to me , has got to be the most beautiful part of the tree if sawn right. Theres an awesome flame pattern, wheat steam, [whatever each wants to call it], that I really like, which mostly shows up in boards and gun stock blanks. I always throw these boards back, hoping to someday put them in some cabinet door panels.
If you turn the crotch, it isn't as dramatic, but yet it's a beautiful piece.
Gun stock companies pay a lot of money for those crotches, if they are big enough, and solid.

Chris P. had a bowl turned at the CSBBC out of a crotch piece. That was one fine bowl after Dennis P. got the finish on it.

Steve:):):)

Michael Stafford
10-30-2004, 8:46 PM
Todd, since everyone is ganging up on you I will remind you that the proper response was also supplied by a SNL character, Rosanne Rosannadanna, who will be forever immortalized by coining the phrase, " Never mind ".

Todd Burch
10-30-2004, 9:25 PM
Never mind. (I would have posted earlier, but I was cleaning out the shop, throwing away all my extra crotch walnut firewood pieces.)

keith zimmerman
11-01-2004, 1:08 PM
Todd, since everyone is ganging up on you I will remind you that the proper response was also supplied by a SNL character, Rosanne Rosannadanna, who will be forever immortalized by coining the phrase, " Never mind ".

Actually, that was Emily Latella that said that. Rosanne said "It just goes to show you, it's always something".

keithz