PDA

View Full Version : Big Woodworking show is over

harry strasil
02-23-2010, 10:30 AM
and I am glad, met lots of people and at times when Don and I were working on the Plane storage shelf I believe we had people 3 to 4 deep watching us. I am used to having a bunch of people watching me work, but it has a tendency to make some people nervous. I ended up turning my hearing aid way down to compensate for the din of several thousand people talking, the many demonstrators with their own high volume PA systems and the noisy CNC carver almost next door to us.

I over did it Saturday, staying on my feet too long and I paid and am paying for it now. Sunday I was pooped out, and mostly just sat and watched what few people showed up, after the overnight ice storm, wander thru. It rained/snowed and was windy all day sunday, and by 2PM some vendors started tear down.

I didn't purchase but a few small things for myself, but did spend $50 for a bottle of pain reliever for ma, I got a small sample last year and it worked so well, I sprang for a large bottle this year. The $3.50 hot dog was enough to cure me of going to the concession stand.

I want to THANK, Don Peterson and Rob Young for helping me with the demo. and also a Great Big THANK YOU, to the members of the Kansas City Woodworkers Guild for helping me unload, set up, and tear down and load up after. We had to move all my stuff from the very southeast corner of the Trade Center to the northwest corner to load up. When I pulled up to the Trade Center the Guild members converged on my trailer like a swarm of worker ants and I think the trailer was emptied in about 10 minutes or so.

One of the Lee Valley personel was over at my setup taking some pictures, and later I went over to the Lee Valley booth and visited with one of their engineers who I think is in the design dept. and we discussed my modification of the tailvise screw I used on my NuBench for the Wagon Vise. He even brought up one of the wedsites I have the build posted on and looked at the pictures. I have no idea if they will come out with a left handed screw with a garter or other modification for wagon vises or not. But it was nice to visit with them for a short time.

Those who signed in that they were there are:

Rob Young
Logan William
Don Peterson
Bill Ward
Matt Sauber
Dave Simal ???? Indepence, Mo. Not sure if this is a member of SMC.

I thought Friday and Saturday there were more people there than the last two years I was there, I do know that parking spaces were at a premium and people were walking quite aways from their parked vehicles.

As in the 2 previous years Peachtree had I think 3 large display areas, as well as a large storage area near where I was set up and Sunday the storage area was empty. They had quite a few clamps on sale and quite an inventory in the storage area and people were lugging quite a few clamps out the exits.

harry strasil
02-23-2010, 12:03 PM
KCWG member Bill Johnstone, brings two small benches that are kid sized and lets the kids experience some hand tool usage. I took some pictures of the benches, the larger of the two Bill made not as a kids bench but so he could set down to do some woodworking, but its just the right height for most young children.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/woodshow001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/woodshow002.jpg

notice the soda can for size comparison on this one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/woodshow005.jpg

Rob Young
02-23-2010, 3:47 PM
Relax for a few days Jr! You earned it. We were glad to have you there.

That itty bitty bench also works well as a bench-on-bench for working on small stuff, close-up.

Rob

Don C Peterson
02-23-2010, 5:51 PM
I was glad to be asked to help. It's always good to see you. There was a pretty good crowd around us at times and a steady stream of visitors on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully we sparked some interest in hand tools, I know we answered a bunch of questions...

Thanks for your work in hauling your portable shop down here and as always, thanks for the knowledge that you share.

See you next month at the LN event. I'll keep your trailer safe until then...

harry strasil
02-24-2010, 12:04 PM
I remember seeing Roy Wall there, but he didn't sign the website guest list.