PDA

View Full Version : simple rolling pin

Christopher Pine
10-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Simple in design and simple to turn and put together. I made this from some scrap maple that I had in the shop... glued up 4 pieces to eventuall make a 3x3x12 inch blank turn it to cylinder etc... turn maple pegs and walnut handles.. put it all together and there ya go. SImple? YES! But folks like this kind of stuff as gifts. I enjoyed making it so I guess everyone wins. It just looks like a rolling pin but it is (I am told) very functional and nice because of its larger size than most pins today. I was thinking maybe make some cocobolo handles next time :) would be different...
ANy ideas for a spiced up orjazzed up rollingpin? :)

Chris

Ted Shrader
10-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Chris -

Nice work on the rolling pin. Did you do anything special with the grain orientation on the glue-up for the body? Ideas . . . Maybe next time glue-up some darker, close grain wood in the body - end up with stripes or diagonals?

Regards,
Ted

Christopher Pine
10-30-2004, 6:17 PM
Chris -

Nice work on the rolling pin. Did you do anything special with the grain orientation on the glue-up for the body? Ideas . . . Maybe next time glue-up some darker, close grain wood in the body - end up with stripes or diagonals?

Regards,
Ted
Other than alternating the grain nothing special.
I thought of that.. would be neat to try making one from cherry. I have some scrap of that as well!
Better yet you try it also and post some pics!! :)
Chris

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2004, 2:34 AM
Christopher,

Try one like this:

Maple, Cherry, Walnut, Baltic Birch Plywood and repeat process.
Cut on a 45° angle to a 3" x 3" square and whatever length you want to include the handles.

I've seen this done and they are "outstanding". :eek: ;) :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2004, 6:59 AM
Can you make them out of softer woods.....it hurts less when SWMBO uses them on my skull! :rolleyes: .....Nice rolling pin!

Ted Shrader
10-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Other than alternating the grain nothing special.
I thought of that.. would be neat to try making one from cherry. I have some scrap of that as well!
Better yet you try it also and post some pics!! :)
ChrisChris -

Maggie has a couple of rolling pins on her list. I haven't been given permission to use her lathe yet. :D :D :) Pics will follow.

Regards,
Ted

Mark Kelly
11-01-2004, 5:18 PM
So is the handle once piece that goes all the way through? Does the cylinder move freely while the handle is stationary? If so, how did you do that?

Christopher Pine
11-02-2004, 11:22 PM
The handles are drilled all the way through before turning them and then make some "handle pins" for lack of better term... They are maple pieces turned with a knob on the end to hold handle on. THE larger cylinger has holes drilled in the ends (Not all the way through) and they are all glued together. If I have not totally confused you. :) I wondered how strong it would be but after glue up it is very strong.
Chris