PDA

View Full Version : biesemeyer fence question

mark kosse
02-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I lucked out today! Got a delta contractor table saw (1995)and biesemeyer fence setup. Got it with a cabinet, blades (10), push sticks, push blocks, something called a Craftsman universal jig for table saws, an original Delta miter and original tools for <200.00.

Now the one little problem. There is a friction spacer/slide that goes to the fence clamp fell off. Should it be glued on, epoxied on or 2 sided taped or what to hold it on. The PO had taped it to the top of the fence to not loose it.

Anyone know about that craftsman jig? It looks like a tenon jig, of sorts. It might work for that but it would be slow set ups.

Thanks in advance. M

glenn bradley
02-23-2010, 12:46 AM
The Bies has changed over the years. Mine is about 4 years old and has plastic "pads". One on each side of the fence frame on either side of the handle where the fence sets on the rail. Another one that presses against the side of the rail to lock it in position and one under the fence bar itself that glides across the table top. I believe these used to me formica-like. Mine are UHMW-like.

Chip Lindley
02-23-2010, 4:27 AM
Mark, use a little *Super Glue* on the four corners of the pad after cleaning the surface with denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner.

Dave Gaul
02-23-2010, 7:48 AM
I think you should ship the Bies to me ASAP! Is this post not gloat worthy:eek:??

Jack Clay
02-23-2010, 8:27 AM
If it is the piece under the metal leaf that that locks the tube in place mine came off also. I tried epoxy on it and it fell off and I lost it. I went to one of the box store and pickup a Formica test chip that they have about a million different ones and give away for free. This time I used Gorilla glue and I have had no problem with it for years. Good luck.

Matt Meiser
02-23-2010, 8:38 AM
When mine fell off shortly after I got it, I glued it back on with the thick contact cement that comes in a tube because I had some handy. No trouble since.

mark kosse
02-23-2010, 12:53 PM
If it is the piece under the metal leaf that that locks the tube in place mine came off also. I tried epoxy on it and it fell off and I lost it. I went to one of the box store and pickup a Formica test chip that they have about a million different ones and give away for free. This time I used Gorilla glue and I have had no problem with it for years. Good luck.

Great, epoxy is out. It's now down to super glue, contact cement or gorilla glue.

I know everyone loves it but I'm not to fond of GG (no offense Jack). The reasons for me are numerous, and I still use titebond mostly on wood. I think I may have some duco cement around somewhere and will probably try that.

mark kosse
02-23-2010, 12:55 PM
I think you should ship the Bies to me ASAP! Is this post not gloat worthy:eek:??

Dave, If you think that is gloat worthy, I got the saw, a delta floor model 16.5 drill press and a delta 6" jointer (the small one) for 300.00.

Thanks for the replies guys! M

Chip Lindley
02-23-2010, 7:06 PM
Go with the Gorilla Glue! (a very little dab will do ya!--since it expands and foams) It will stick anything to anything! CA is probably too brittle for this application. I was thinking you were referring to the pad that slides along the table. This clamp pad must flex a bit when the cam is locked down.

mark kosse
02-24-2010, 9:40 PM
So much for taking everyones advice. I decided to use 2 sided foam tape for no other reason than it was the handiest. Thanks for the replies!!!!

While I was working on it I read on the fence that it should be lubed on the clamp monthly and the whole fence waxed weekly. Since I live in Houston and my shop is in my garage I spend as much time waxing as I do working so I dwaxed up the fence and saw. I wax with a carnuba based paste wax and used candle wax on the clamp instead of grease. Man, what a difference in how the fence moved and felt. I can't wait to try it out soon.

Lucky for it I now own it, wax and all....