PDA

View Full Version : Original Saw Company

Jack Clay
02-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I have been looking for a Dewalt 7790 12 inch radial arm saw and ran on to an Original Saw Company model 3512 12 inch saw. Can anyone tell me how they would compare? If you have a 3512 what do you think of the saw. Thanks for the help.

Bill Orbine
02-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Not sure if you know this but Dewalt radial arm saw line was bought out by a company who went under very shortly afterwards and then was bought out by the Original Saw Co. The Original Saw Co claims to have parts for the older Dewalt. Check it out on OWWM.com.

Dave Cav
02-23-2010, 12:45 AM
I'd say the Original is hands down a better saw. They Originals are clones of the earlier G series DeWalt commercial/industrial saws. The DeWalt 7790 is a Black and Decker - era saw and saws of this vintage are generally not considered anywhere the equal of the earlier saws. Good saws, but not great.

Tom Welch
02-23-2010, 2:47 AM
Jack,
I have a 3512 (12" model). :cool: I love it. It is a quality built machine. Industrial heavy duty. It has a 24" cross cut and I can cross cut plywood with out any tear out. It is a joy to dado cabinet sides, etc. If you are in the market for a radial arm saw, it is the only one to buy, if you budget allows it. It also has plenty of power. And I never had any problems with it.

Jack Clay
02-23-2010, 4:31 PM
Tom,
Would you recommend anything to ask about the 3512 that would make it less desirable? It dose seem like there is a lot more old Dewalts at a lower price out there than the 3512. So trying to figure out a price point for the 3512 is a little difficult for me. My problem is the saw is about 4 hours away so I am trying to learn as much as I can about this saw before I make a decision.

Peter Quinn
02-23-2010, 5:03 PM
I have an older DeWalt GR-42 industrial saw, 14" with a 24" cross cut, and I have looked quite closely at the 12" original saw. I think the original saw is actually a better machine than my old dewalt. It has a better bearing system than the older ones taken from later models than mine. Fantastic machines either way. Some of the B&D early saws were fine tools for a few years after the original acquisition. They didn't start wrecking them until a few years after buying them. Not sure where the B&D saw you are looking at falls. I set up a 16" B&D labeled dewalt at work and it is a fine tool in every regard, but not all of the B&D saws were.

Tom Welch
02-24-2010, 1:57 AM
Jack, I really don't know, I have not had any problems at all with mine, so I cann't speak of any thing to look at. I drove from Pensacola Fl to Houston Tx. to buy my saw, over 8 hours drive pulling a trailer. But worth the drive. So 4 hours might me worth your while, if you are in the market for a RAS. Those Originals cost a pretty penny new and plus your going to pay shipping also. (But worth it, and it is made in the USA a rare thing these days) Good luck.

Rick Potter
02-24-2010, 3:06 AM
I have no doubt the Original Saw 12 incher is a better saw. That being said, the 7790 is a great saw, and they go for $300 or less for a really nice one on my local CL. I have had mine for a long time and it has been accurate and dependable for me. The 24" stroke is really nice though, the 7790 is 16".

Rick Potter

Tom Welch
02-24-2010, 2:59 PM
Rick, I am with you on that one, I was looking at the older dewalt RAS when I discovered Original Saw. They are built like a tank. And I am under the impression that you can get parts for them from Original. And if you can get one at the right price, even sweeter.

Rick Potter
02-25-2010, 2:42 AM
So......How much did you find a used Original 12 incher for? Inquiring minds want to know.

Rick Potter

Jack Clay
02-25-2010, 8:16 AM
I want to thank everybody for their help and information. I am going Monday to buy the saw after I see it run. After talking to the owner I do not expect any problems. So we will see after the four hour ride to take a look.

Tom Welch
02-26-2010, 2:31 AM
Rick, I payed $1500 for mine, it had less that 4 hours and did not even have a scratch, looked like brand new, also the owner threw in a $300 dado set, regular blade and a triton router to boot. It was a sweet deal. I know the rules, so here is a pic.

Van Huskey
02-26-2010, 2:41 AM
Rick, I payed $1500 for mine, it had less that 4 hours and did not even have a scratch, looked like brand new, also the owner threw in a $300 dado set, regular blade and a triton router to boot. It was a sweet deal. I know the rules, so here is a pic.

That indeed was a good deal.

Larry Edgerton
02-26-2010, 8:16 AM
I have had an old Dewalt in the past and now have a OMGA. You owe it to yourself to check out the OMGA if you are spending any amount of money on the saw. It is far and away a better saw. I was amazed at how accurate it is considering it is considerably lighter. It is just better engineered, and I have used it in a commercial application for over ten years now with no problems other than the cord wand broke, a simple fix.

Joe Jensen
02-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Tom,
Would you recommend anything to ask about the 3512 that would make it less desirable? It dose seem like there is a lot more old Dewalts at a lower price out there than the 3512. So trying to figure out a price point for the 3512 is a little difficult for me. My problem is the saw is about 4 hours away so I am trying to learn as much as I can about this saw before I make a decision.

I have a late model Dewalt 14" and The Original Saw Company sells one like mine too. The #1 thing to check is the machined cast iron ways in the arm. If the saw was used heavily, and the bearings in the carriage go bad, it can wear the cast iron surfaces. The Original Saw Company can remachine, but in like 1990 they charged $600 for that plus shipping each way to their location. Second, the bearings in the carriage. I replaced the ones in mine when I bought it in 1990. Mine has 8 large heavy bearings and I think The Original Saw company charged like $200. This was 20 years ago, but I think I priced locally and they were the same price but that was in the days before the internet.

Lastly, how does the motor sound and do the motor bearings sound and feel good?

I love my saw. Sadly it's a short arm version, but I get perfect 90 degree crosscuts up to 18".

Sean Nagle
02-26-2010, 10:37 AM

Tom, is that a commercial dust hood that you're using?

Jack Clay
02-27-2010, 8:16 PM
Rick,
No problem on the price of the saw. Let me get it home and take some pictures and then I will post, stay tuned.

Tom Welch
03-01-2010, 1:25 AM
Sean,
Yes, it came with the saw, another "bonus Item" I forgot to mention.

Jack Clay
03-06-2010, 8:17 AM
After eight hour round trip ride plus a few stops I have my radial arm saw in the garage. I will have to wait till the ground gets a little dryer to move it out to the shop. Everything on it seems to be in good shape. I will try to confirm the age with the serial number but I was told it was purchased in the late 90’s. Here is a picture still in the packed mode and waiting to be cleaned up. The price for the saw was 525 dollars.

Joe Jensen
03-06-2010, 10:58 AM
After eight hour round trip ride plus a few stops I have my radial arm saw in the garage. I will have to wait till the ground gets a little dryer to move it out to the shop. Everything on it seems to be in good shape. I will try to confirm the age with the serial number but I was told it was purchased in the late 90’s. Here is a picture still in the packed mode and waiting to be cleaned up. The price for the saw was 525 dollars.

WOW, amazing gloat

Rick Potter
03-07-2010, 2:49 AM
Smmmmmokin' deal. Congrats.

Rick Potter

Sean Nagle
03-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Sweet saw and a sweet deal.