PDA

View Full Version : New turnings

Brian Brown
02-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Actually the pens and earings are new, I think I posted the pendant before. The previous pic was not as good. The wife is working on a personal photo project, and did these pics. She put a lot of effort into the pics (an entire day). The pens are Wall Streets. One is natural cherry burl, and the other is dyed tiger maple. The pendant and earings are her Valentines gift, althought she was wearing them before Valentines day. There is a second set of earings to go with the pendant, but she forgot to shoot them because she was wearing them at the time. Critique and comments, positive or negative are always welcome.

David E Keller
02-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Nice work... the pendant and earrings are incredible. Perhaps the most impressive thing to me is the photograph of the jewelry... What a fantastic way to display the pieces for a photo!

Doug W Swanson
02-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Very nice! I really like the cherry burl pen!

Doug

Ted Calver
02-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Brian, Great looking work! The presentation of the jewelry is very well done! Classy stuff indeed.

Richard Madison
02-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Nice photos, esp. the jewelry.

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Really nice Brian. Well done.

John Keeton
02-23-2010, 6:06 AM
Brian, I haven't done pens, and don't feel the urge yet, but I will say that those are two of the nicer ones I have seen. I like the one piece style - Wall Street. Just enough wood, and you did a clean job on them.

The jewelry is very, very nice, and the photography really sets it off. What wood did you use?

I really need to look at doing some of this type of work and expand my skill base. Plus, there is just something about taking a very nice piece of wood that is beautiful all the way through, and turning 90% of it into compost!!?!!!:eek::eek: I just told my wife last nite that I literally am throwing away 90% of my wood. For a flatworker that saves every usable piece, that part is getting to me.

With the jewelry items, looks like one could maximize material usage a little better.

Steve Schlumpf
02-23-2010, 7:52 AM
Beautiful work on everything Brian - excellent photos Tamara!

Brian Brown
02-23-2010, 11:26 AM
I haven't done pens, and don't feel the urge yet

Ahhhh John... Pens are just a side road in the vortex. One day very soon the freeway will be closed for repairs, and wham you'll end up driving on the side road. I didn't think I would like doing pens, and once when I needed a gift, there they were beckoning. They are not my first choice in turning projects, but when I need a quick blood pressure drop, pens it is. I also give them to clients as gifts.

As for the wood on the jewelry, it is desert iron wood burl. I got it in Arizona.

Pete Jordan
02-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Awesome Brian!

Could you take more pictures of the earrings from different angles?

Michael Jasani
02-23-2010, 11:36 AM
I can simply say "WOW"!! The photographs are totally professional!!!

Tamara Brown
02-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Could you take more pictures of the earrings from different angles?
Pete...he would have to pry them off of my ears first! He didn't even get a chance to wrap them before he gave them to me. But, I will try to get a couple of shots for you.

Everybody, thanks for the nice compliments on the images! After watching the LOML for years, I decided that I had to step up give it a try. I will be honest, I like shooting still subjects, they don't cry, scream or talk back!! :D

Pete Jordan
02-23-2010, 5:41 PM
Pete...he would have to pry them off of my ears first! He didn't even get a chance to wrap them before he gave them to me. But, I will try to get a couple of shots for you.

Everybody, thanks for the nice compliments on the images! After watching the LOML for years, I decided that I had to step up give it a try. I will be honest, I like shooting still subjects, they don't cry, scream or talk back!! :D

Thanks Tamara,

You know you only have to take one off.