Leo Van Der Loo
02-22-2010, 10:14 PM

Paper Birch platter 15"

David Christopher
02-22-2010, 10:24 PM
beautiful bowls Leo, how did you turn the bottom one crooked:D

John Keeton
02-22-2010, 10:25 PM
The maple sure has a nice clean grain and some beautiful curl going on, but I love the knotty walnut and the way it warped!! That rim style sure works with the end result. Neat!

David E Keller
02-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Beautiful bowls... I think perhaps the birch is my favorite.

Doug W Swanson
02-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Very nice looking bowls.

I like that each bowl is simple but yet beautiful.

Doug

Skip Spaulding
02-22-2010, 11:37 PM
All are very nice Leo, but that "paper birch" really catches my eye.

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Beauties again Leo.

charlie knighton
02-23-2010, 4:40 AM
very nice...

Tony De Masi
02-23-2010, 7:09 AM
All excellent works Leo. I really like the walnut and how it warped on ya.

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
02-23-2010, 7:58 AM
Once again - very nice work Leo! All of these are winners! Really like the simple forms - and your limited use of detail lines! Just enough to draw the eye - not enough to take away from the form!

Really like the form and wood grain of the Paper Birch! Just something about it catches my attention!

Thanks for sharing!

steven carter
02-23-2010, 8:25 AM
Really nice bowls Leo, what did you use to darken the lines in the top of the rim?

Steve

Bill Bolen
02-23-2010, 9:23 AM
Beautiful pieces Leo. Boy oh boy that Walnut made up its own mind on a finished form didn't it...Bill...

Michael Jasani
02-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Very beautiful!!!

Darin Kauffman
02-23-2010, 1:49 PM
I love the knotty walnut. Irregular and a nice "curve" to the top. Really like that one.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-23-2010, 8:57 PM
beautiful bowls Leo, how did you turn the bottom one crooked:D

Thanks David, oh I don't know how that happened David, didn't even try ;) :D

The maple sure has a nice clean grain and some beautiful curl going on, but I love the knotty walnut and the way it warped!! That rim style sure works with the end result. Neat!

Thanks John :D, you know I got the same response here from Anny, she likes that crooked Walnut best out of these last turnings :rolleyes: :D

Beautiful bowls... I think perhaps the birch is my favorite.

Thanks David :D, that Birch is quite good looking, I find as well :)

Very nice looking bowls.

I like that each bowl is simple but yet beautiful.

Doug

Thank you for commenting Doug, I appreciate it :D

All are very nice Leo, but that "paper birch" really catches my eye.

Thanks Skip, yes that birch really surprised me when I cut it up, it's got a lot of character, it was the biggest Paper Birch stump I'd ever seen, I'm glad I got it, still quite a few pieces waiting to be finished eventually :D

Beauties again Leo.

Thanks Bernie :D, we just keep on turning ;)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-23-2010, 9:17 PM
Once again - very nice work Leo! All of these are winners! Really like the simple forms - and your limited use of detail lines! Just enough to draw the eye - not enough to take away from the form!

Really like the form and wood grain of the Paper Birch! Just something about it catches my attention!

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for Commenting Steve, I do appreciate that :D, yes that Birch is quite good looking wood unlike usual, it comes from the biggest Paper Birch stump/crotch I've ever seen, it's been sitting several years in rough form, I was quite surprised by the looks of the wood, when I got it and cut it up I thought at first that it was all badly stained and no good for anything, but like they say you never know until you cut into it what you got :)

Really nice bowls Leo, what did you use to darken the lines in the top of the rim?

Steve

Thank you Steven :D, I used a couple of Elm wedges on this one, held 2 at the same time one behind the other, arborite/melamine would work also, but I didn't have any around, speed is important especially with this fairly soft wood :)

Beautiful pieces Leo. Boy oh boy that Walnut made up its own mind on a finished form didn't it...Bill...

Thanks Bill :D, it did actually what I expected it would do, just hoped it would stay in one piece, actually quite pleased with it :D

Very beautiful!!!

Thanks for taking the time to comment Michael, I appreciate it :D

I love the knotty walnut. Irregular and a nice "curve" to the top. Really like that one.

Oops, I almost let you slip by Darin, thanks for commenting, it's my wife's fav. one from the last bunch of turnings also, I just hope someone will like it enough to buy it ;) :D