PDA

View Full Version : Finally lathe time

Scott Lux
02-22-2010, 8:27 PM
I re-organized the shop area of the garage recently. As a result I haven't done much turning. But the last couple weekends I got some time. Here are the results.

The pendants are spalted something (maple?) from a 4" square piece of scrap. The guy gave it to me because, "You make small stuff, right?" They're close to 2" diameter.

Pink one is polymer clay slimline pencil. Fun stuff to work with. I'm going to do more.

Final is a slimline pencil in black walnut.

John Keeton
02-22-2010, 8:56 PM
Nice work, Scott! I haven't tackled the pendant thing yet, though I did read a bunch of threads on it on another forum. That spalted wood turned out very well. Nice finish, too.

On the black walnut, you should try some BLO on it first to see if you like it. Not sure what that does to the CA finish most of you penmakers use, but a coat of shellac over the BLO should work. It will really deepen the color and warmth of the walnut.

Ted Calver
02-22-2010, 9:36 PM
Nice work Scott! My wife really likes the pendants...now I'm in trouble again :)

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2010, 9:36 PM
Really nice pendents and pens Scott. I really like the pendents in the spalted wood.

Mark Hubl
02-22-2010, 9:48 PM
I like those spalty pendants. With all the nieces I have I really need to make some of those.

David E Keller
02-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Nice work... I especially like the pendants. As for the BLO and CA finish on pens, there's no need to put something else on in between the two. You can apply BLO like a friction polish then CA directly over it immediately. Nothing wrong with the finish you used, but if you want to try something else...

Steve Schlumpf
02-23-2010, 7:41 AM
Nice work on everything Scott! The pendants really stand out because of the spalt lines - very artful!

Scott Lux
02-23-2010, 10:01 AM
I'll have to pick some up. Actually, this walnut was pretty boring no matter what. It's scrap from a guy I know. He had a box of it from a job he did, and he was using it as kindling.