PDA

View Full Version : band saw

Charles Bouchelle
02-22-2010, 8:21 PM
I am looking for a band saw and a local guy has a Delta 52-963 model.Does anyone know anything about these? I am torn between looking for a used saw or just ordering a 14 inch from Grizzly. I can get a new one for $450 plus $70 if I want to add the riser blocks.Any thoughts? Thanks. I got blanks to cut and need a saw soon.

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Charles I don't know about the Delta except it has a 3/4 hp motor. I went with the Grizzly G0555X. It has 1/2 hp more than the G0555. It does extremely well for me with a Timberwolf 1/2" 3tpi blade. The G0555 you are looking at has 1/4 hp more than the Delta. Food for thought.

Wes Henson
02-23-2010, 12:25 AM
I got a G0555 several years ago with rizer hand have been very happy with it. I've resawn some pretty tall pieces, you need a sharp blade and to go slow but it works well. I does really well for general cutting. I thought it was a great value for the price I paid. I'm guessing the G0555X would be good too. I'd like to find the guy that designed the fence locking mechanism and slap him around though. The handle goes up and gets in the way of the wood. Other than that no issues.

Richard Madison
02-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Lotta extra $$ for the X for another 1/2 hp, iron wheels, larger table, etc. Judgement call, I guess. Anyhow go ahead and get a 3/8 or 1/2", 3 tpi Timberwolf (or other good brand) blade when you get the saw, as most OEM blades (regardless of brand) seem to be minimal quality (my experience and also what everybody else says).

Rick Huelsbeck
02-23-2010, 7:51 AM
I was on the verge of getting a Shop Fox 1706 14" with a riser (1 HP) and then I heard about the Rikon at Woodcraft (they don't have them, or the blades here at the local woodcraft :mad: had to go to Lexington) you can get it for $720 right now through Saturday, 1.5 HP motor, comes with a decent fence, I bought the Kreg and love it. Like has been mentioned, get a different blade. Look around your area, here in Louisville I found a company that sells swiss steel blades (claims it is the same stock as the timberwolf blade) The 1/2" for the Rikon (111") is $13.50. The cut is very smooth and consistant. Oh yeah did I mention the 13" resaw capacity. Oh yes you can cut blanks too :D Check the Woodcraft web site you are only about an hour away from the ones in Downingtown, and Allentown. I'm sure other owners will chime in. BTW look up reviews on the internet as well, that is what convinced me.

mark kosse
02-23-2010, 8:43 AM
You dodn't say what the delta's going for but the Delta your looking at is the standard for all bandsaws, Most every non delta bandsaw made over the last 40 years uses this design in many ways. If the price is right it will do a great job and hold it's value as long as you own it. I have 2 of them (28-200) your is a little nicer.

That being said, I also have a Go 555 and it is a fine saw too.

Charles Bouchelle
02-23-2010, 8:00 PM
the problem withe the Delta Model # 52-963 is that it will only cut 6 inch thick,or can I get riser blocks to increase that? does anyone know?

Van Huskey
02-23-2010, 8:28 PM
the problem withe the Delta Model # 52-963 is that it will only cut 6 inch thick,or can I get riser blocks to increase that? does anyone know?

Yes, you can get a riser block for it.

mark kosse
02-24-2010, 9:33 PM
so, whats the decision?????

Neil Brooks
02-24-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm guessing the G0555X would be good too.

It is. Very good. I've got a TW blade on mine, too. Good stuff!

I'd like to find the guy that designed the fence locking mechanism and slap him around though. The handle goes up and gets in the way of the wood. Other than that no issues.

I'll drive. Got an address?? ;)

Joseph Tarantino
02-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Oh yes you can cut blanks too

the above quote is from a post regarding something a 10-325, and i assume other band saws, can do. but what is cutting blanks?

mark kosse
02-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Probably bowl blanks since he wants a riser.

Stephen Edwards
02-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Considering what you get with the G0555X vs the G0555 I don't think the price difference in unreasonable. In addition to the upgrades that Richard mentioned: cast iron wheels, 1 1/2 HP motor, larger table) you also get a very heavy duty cabinet base with door (nice storage areas for blades, extra bearings, wrenches, etc.) and the cast iron fence with 6" re-saw aluminum attachment. That alone costs 130 bucks extra.

I have one of each. Both are good saws. I picked up the G0555 for a song on CL. In the end, as Richard says, it's a judgment call. Good luck with your decision, whatever BS you decide to purchase.