View Full Version : Table Saw Jig

Mark Schiller
02-22-2010, 7:12 PM
Within the last six months, in a magazine, I saw a homemade jig that was specifically made for ripping narrow pieces, such as shelf banding. I can't locate the article or remember what magazine it was in. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Dennis Faz
02-22-2010, 7:17 PM
I'm looking in a "Shop Notes" publication called "Table Saw: Tough Cuts Made Easy". On page 46 of the book it talks about making a jig for ripping thin strips. I paid less than $10.00 for this 98 page book with lots of ideas on jigs and great photos, well worth the $.

Mikail Khan
02-22-2010, 8:47 PM
Rockler sells this one (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18056&filter=thin%20strip)

It goes on sale for $15.

You should be able to make one for a few $.

MK

Keith Westfall
02-22-2010, 8:51 PM
The trouble with the Rockler one is that you have to move the fence every time.

I think the other one Dennis is talking about you set the fence once and each strip is cut the same. I made one and it works great!

Scott Hildenbrand
02-22-2010, 9:02 PM
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/basics/reader-devises-a-different-way-to-slice-a-thin-strip-ripping-jig/

Jim Rimmer
02-22-2010, 9:30 PM
Rockler sells this one (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18056&filter=thin%20strip)

It goes on sale for $15.

You should be able to make one for a few $.

MK
I've got one of these and it works great.

Bill Huber
02-22-2010, 10:09 PM
I have the Rockler and really like it. You do have to move the fence for each cut but that is just not a big deal at all.

Here is a thread with some pictures in use.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=111305&highlight=thin+strips

The problem with some of them is I do not want to trap the small piece between it and the jig and think it is just asking for it to come flying out at you

Loren Bengtson
02-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Within the last six months, in a magazine, I saw a homemade jig that was specifically made for ripping narrow pieces, such as shelf banding. I can't locate the article or remember what magazine it was in. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

It's on page 70 of the February 2010 issue of The Family Handyman.

It took some digging for me to find my copy, but I want to make the same jig so I kept the magazine out. Since I didn't file it with my others, naturally I couldn't find it when I wanted it.

-- Loren

Jeffrey Makiel
02-23-2010, 7:53 AM
The Wood Magazine one still looks like it has a potential binding situation since the narrow piece is still trapped between the spinning blade and the jig. Using a splitter is paramount.

-Jeff :)

Richard Dragin
02-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I've ripped a LOT of thin strips. With any of these jigs a zero clearance insert is really important. Even more important than that is a way to hold the material down as you push it through because of the tendency of the blade to lift the strip. I use a dedicated push stick, the kind that looks like a handle with a heel in the back, not just a stick to push with. What makes it dedicated is the kerf in the heel is only used for the one width of cut so you have as much of the heel as possible to push the thin strip. A splitter is also a good idea and if you can figure out how to keep the guard in place, let me know.

With that in mind I don't know that the Wood mag jig is that good in practice. You have three things to hold down and push at the same time which seems problematic. The Rockler jig has been in magazines before as a plan/tip (as have all of the jigs Rockler sells). I have used it and it's a good design, moving the fence is a small price to pay. I have also just used my fence with success but it's not for the faint of heart.

One last word of warning, don't try and use that last piece to get those last two strips, it usually blows up on you. I also wear a face shield when ripping thin strips.

Russell Smallwood
02-23-2010, 10:17 AM
I think there is one in the Best of Fine Woodworking magazine that just came out a couple months ago. It rides on the fence.

Mark Schiller
02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks Loren. Filing......GRRRRRRRRRR!

Mark Schiller
02-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Thank you to all for taking the time to reply!
I will check out the suggestions tonight.
Mark

Mark Schiller
02-23-2010, 2:11 PM
Scott,
That's it. Thanks.
Mark

Kevin Gregoire
02-23-2010, 9:14 PM
here is a pic of the story from Family Handiman for those that dont have it.
if this is illegal please let me know and i will remove it.

http://i46.tinypic.com/b6vz0y.jpg

Bruce Wrenn
02-23-2010, 9:38 PM
Current issue of Popular Woodworking has a readers tip for a jig. Jig is basically a push stick, which rides on the fence. At the rear of the jig is a flap which pivots up out of the way. When stock passes the flap, it falls down to push the stock through the saw. Flap is held in place by a hinge, and is replaceable. It's on my "to make list."

Myk Rian
02-23-2010, 9:42 PM
Here's what I use.

Jack Clark
05-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Current issue of Popular Woodworking has a readers tip for a jig. Jig is basically a push stick, which rides on the fence. At the rear of the jig is a flap which pivots up out of the way. When stock passes the flap, it falls down to push the stock through the saw. Flap is held in place by a hinge, and is replaceable. It's on my "to make list."

Thanks Bruce. I've been searching for a good design of this style. It's now on my list of things to make too.

However, the article is not in Pop Woodworking. It's in Wood magazine, Issue 196, March 2010, Shop Tips, page 8. ;)