PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Nicholson 49 & 50

James Carmichael
02-22-2010, 6:36 PM
I had heard one anecdote on another forum about poor quality Now Joel says "No Mas". I'm glad I bought mine while they were still good.

http://toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=NEXT&StoreCode=toolstore&nextpage=/extra/blogpage.html

Mike Siemsen
02-22-2010, 9:01 PM
I bought several last year. while they were not as well made as my 25 year old versions with the edges being a bit funky they still seemed ok and the price is better than anybody elses. I use them to make saw handles.
Mike

george wilson
02-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Man! That new rasp looks like a horse hoof rasp! I may have to start making my own rasp! More trouble than it's worth,but may become the only way to get a good one.

Bob Easton
02-23-2010, 5:51 PM
I saw some of the Brazilian 50s at a ToolTown store in northern New Jersey a few days ago. They looked just like the bad ones Joel showed us. I wasn't ready to plunk down $52 for inferior goods. Any suggestions for a source of good ones?

lowell holmes
02-23-2010, 7:59 PM
Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley for two. They have the Ariou rasps.

Peter Bell
02-24-2010, 3:30 AM
I wonder if the Nicholson's rasp quality is just a recent thing with one or two bad batches. About 12 months ago I purchased from Woodcraft a 50 made in Brazil and I am rapt with it.

However, not having anything to compare with except a ten dollar Chinese rasp I had here in Australia, sort of puts me way down the food chain. I had used an older 49 but thought it was a bit to fierce and tore the wood around too much but my 50 was perfect for the hand shaping I do for saw handles, hammer handles etc.

Pete

Richard Dooling
02-24-2010, 6:06 PM
Same quality issue here. I didn't look closely at the #50 I just picked up and on closer inspection I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. The teeth at the edges are especially uneven. I tried the edge on a piece of poplar and lost a tooth!

I have not been willing to spend the $$$$ on an Auriou but I just put in an order at TFWW for one. Fortunately I can still return the #50.