PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Front Vises

Clint Barden
02-22-2010, 4:41 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31137&cat=1,41659,41661&ap=1

Has anyone used these? I'm thinking of using the smaller one as a front vise and the larger one as an end vise.

Thanks in advance!

Sean Kinn
02-22-2010, 5:19 PM
Yep...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_4zu_BDW7_VE/SxMLPE6a6SI/AAAAAAAACTk/fL4nvpBGgYI/s400/IMG_1643.JPG

I'm perfectly happy with it.

Graham Hughes (CA)
02-22-2010, 7:20 PM
I have one as an end vise. I'm not sure if I screwed it up, if being out in the weather for a while affected it, or if I'm just using it badly but the QR nut on the QR versions sometimes won't trigger. The non-QR stuff is probably fine, but do note that the normal clamping action likes to shove the vise down and so you have to be careful bolting it and tighten it up now and again or it'll sag.

Jim McFarland
02-22-2010, 7:32 PM
I have the smaller one and no complaints.

Foras Noir
02-22-2010, 7:38 PM
Watch the finish work on all thread bearing parts. I have had several that needed significant cleanup. If you can buy one at a retail outlet, you can inspect it carefully.

I would love to know where these things are made.

Griph0n Brown
02-22-2010, 9:39 PM
I've gotta start by saying it's been pretty ummmmm OK in use. It's just that I ocassionally get an unpleasant flashback or two.

Installing it was a nightmare. It took a looong time before it worked properly. Getting it bolted on with shims so it was flat was no fun, taking apart the quick release umpteen times was no fun, flipping the benchtop was no fun....

It's kinda my fault but talking to Lee Valley about the problem was no fun either. At some point I got the quick release block confused and couldn't remember which way it was oriented. I phoned Lee Valley and they didn't know and wanted to just ship me a new one instead of taking one apart and looking at it. I think they said I shouldn't have taken it apart or something to that effect. At this point I was thinking that as well.

I wanted to use my new bench.

So a few ... OK more than a few... tries later it got itself reassembled and seemed to work but was awfully stiff. A long time later with messing with the screw and quick release and emery paper and it seems to work OK.

The twin screw is a delight, I wish I bought two. Canadian made I think. The front vise is made somewhere in a small European country that shall remain nameless.

All this being said, I still buy all I can afford from Lee Valley TWICE a month.

Clint Barden
02-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks for all the help. I spoke with someone at Lee Valley today and they said the vises are made in Czechloslovokia(spelling?).