PDA

View Full Version : An interesting thing happened while Cermarking

Dee Gallo
02-22-2010, 2:22 PM
I bought two oil dispensers and wanted to label them, so since they are ceramic, I sprayed one with Cermark for ceramics. Seemed logical.

I used settings recommended by Ferro, and pushed GO.

BOTH the Cermark and the glaze disappeared! Which, is actually really a nice effect and all, but WHY?

I did the second one without Cermark and it also vaporized the glaze.

These are very nice ceramic pieces made to match LeCruset flame enameled cast iron. They are made in Thailand.

Any thoughts?

:confused: dee

Dan Hintz
02-22-2010, 2:41 PM
Are you sure the colorant itself was ceramic?

Martin Boekers
02-22-2010, 2:48 PM
Dee,

I vagualy remember that someone from Cermark is on SMC.

Maybe someone can think of his name here and you may PM him.

I haven't had much luck with Cermark so I don't feel comfortable
offering it. I know most either swear for it or at it!:)

Marty

Dee Gallo
02-22-2010, 3:38 PM
Are you sure the colorant itself was ceramic?

I'm thinkin' NOT, Dan. But it sure looks and feels like it. The bottom is imprinted with dishwasher/microwave/oven safe.

Scott A Whitehouse
02-22-2010, 4:24 PM
Dee,

I had the same thing happen on a couple of piggie banks. They were ceramic with a chromium metalic finish on them. The laser engraved right through the Cermark and the finish. Ended up color filling to get enough of a contrast.

Scott

Dee Gallo
02-22-2010, 6:34 PM
Very interesting, Scott - I was lucky, the white bisque contrasts nicely with the red glaze, so I'm not going to color fill.

But I wonder what kind of glaze does this? I wonder if it's the stuff they put on the laserbits mugs? Would come in handy sometimes...

Andrea Weissenseel
02-23-2010, 8:40 AM
But I wonder what kind of glaze does this? I wonder if it's the stuff they put on the laserbits mugs? Would come in handy sometimes...

It sure would, I've been looking for a long time for mugs that laser like this

Andrea

Dan Hintz
02-23-2010, 9:06 AM
It could very well be a glaze, just not one that has been bonded to the underlying substrate. I imagine one way (though no guarantee this is the method chosen, so take it with a grain of salt) would be to slowly cool the piece during vitrification, reducing the bond to it's neighboring molecules and the substrate. Easier to blow away with a pulse.

Bill Cunningham
02-23-2010, 8:24 PM
or simply a baked on high gloss enamel..