PDA

View Full Version : Drilling with the lathe

Fred Perreault
02-22-2010, 2:17 PM
I have never drilled using my lathe. I recently was given a Jacobs No.36 3/4" capacity drill chuck with an MT2 adapter for the tailstock. It is in excellent condition and runs true. I have a Nova 16-24, and was wondering what kind of speed one would use for drilling. Also, can you use forstner bits of 1"-3" with the chuck?
Also, I put my new Robust tool rest lookalike into play today. I didn't want to stress the new unit the first day, so I searched for something small to do. The LOML says "....I let you get the Rikon BS last week, can't you at least make something for me? ....like a toothpick holder for by my chair?" Well, she reads a lot, and eats popcorn a lot. The area around her chair looks like the perimeter of a sawmill. So, I tackled something this savage, undisciplined, heavy-handed woodworker has never done before. I turned something(s) very small. Let me tell ya', that requires finesse that I don't have yet. I'll have to say that I may have had rude thoughts about pen turners on occasion in the past. My apologies..... small stuff is not easy at all.... for me.

Paul Atkins
02-22-2010, 3:02 PM
I drill on my lathe all the time. I make sure the drill is in the tailstock unless I have the drill in a collet or screw on chuck. I don't think I've used a 3" forstner, but up to 2 1/4" works.

Mark Hubl
02-22-2010, 3:20 PM
I like boring on my Nova, much easier than the mini. Have used 2+ inch forstner bits, the larger and deeper the bore the slower the speed. When boring deep small holes you will have more success by backing out and clearing debris often. You can stick a bit which is a pain. Of course different species will have different cutting characteristics, but after you have bored a few times you will get the hang of it.

I also keep the tailstock quill as snug as I can while still letting it move easily. This minimizes chuck wobble and bores a truer hole. Also if you are boring for an accurate fit, such as a tool, do a test bore. I sometimes need to go a 64th or so under to compensate for wobble and the way actual bits cut.

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2010, 3:54 PM
Fred I drill at about 200 to 300 rpm depending on size of the forstner bit. About 2 1/4" is about the biggest bit I have used. I drill with a regular bit about the same speed making sure to draw the bit out to clean out the chips or you could get a lot of heat and possibly crack the wood especially on small pen blanks. I also hold/girp the chuck so it doesn't twist and gall the MT of the tailstock or chuck while drilling with either bit.

charlie knighton
02-22-2010, 3:58 PM
all i can add to above responses is that you can make a smaller hole, 3/8, then make it say 7/8, then make 1 1/4 and so on.....

Bob Hamilton
02-22-2010, 6:03 PM
Make sure the morse taper both in the tailstock quill and on the chuck is clean and unburred. Large diameter forstner bits impart a lot of torque to the taper and if it is not seated well it can spin and possibly score either the male or female part, or both. That is not good news.

Take care
Bob

Richard Madison
02-22-2010, 8:14 PM
My forstners say 650 rpm max., but I usually drill at about 350, frequent clean out as mentioned, sizes to 2-1/2". Always good to make something for your wife. Requests from mine go directly to the top of my list. I am very fortunate to have her to tolerate and look after me, and try to show my appreciation whenever feasible.

Fred Perreault
02-22-2010, 9:12 PM
Thanks for all the pointers. My drilling on the lathe should improve, and I believe that I have achieved a higher level of domestic tranquillity.
And I definitely have a greater appreciation of the smaller, and more intricate work these folks do. I usually only grabbed the biggest, and baddest gnarly blank, and chewed the living daylights outta' it. Not much finesse.

Steve Schlumpf
02-23-2010, 1:02 AM
Fred - I have tried drilling a number of things using my drill press and have not had good luck having the hole centered once I get it back on the lathe. As a result I only drill on the lathe now.

You can drill using forstner bits but remember to go slow as the bits were really intended for cross-grain boring - not end-grain. Result being you have to use more pressure when drilling end-grain and clear the bit more often. Also make sure to use a slow speed and be aware that the bit will heat up rapidly - so don't burn your fingers when clearing shavings!

When boring a large diameter hole - I find it easier and faster to use a bowl gouge.

Peter Lamb
02-23-2010, 7:34 AM
All of the above is good advice, especially lower speeds. One further thought seldom spoken about. Especially for end grain boring, sharpen your forstner bits.
Some do not even come from the manufacturer sharp. Sharpening can easily be done with a Dremel type tool and small bit very quickly.
Peter

Fred Perreault
02-23-2010, 8:50 AM
To be honest, I had tried with a 1.75" forstner bit, and yes... I guess it was dull because it burned a little, and my speed was too high, and I burmed myself....you get the picture. But I look forward to drilling with the lathe with more confidence and success. It seems a lot easier amd safer than trying to hold something in the drill press, and having to go pick it up on the other side of the shop..... or watching it spin like a top.
Thanks