PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who own a Shopsmith....

Jason White
02-22-2010, 2:15 PM
How do you like the following features:

1. Drill press?

2. Lathe?

The only two functions that I'm really interested in are the DP and lathe, as I already have power sanders, a cabinet saw, etc. I have a major space issue in my shop, so the machine appeals to me in that regard.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Bill White
02-22-2010, 4:43 PM
Very good engineering on the components. The table saw element sucks big time. Lathe function is good. Power station for small bandsaw and jointer is good (I have the band saw and 4" jointer). Lots of units a sold for about $500.00 used.
Bill

Kyle Iwamoto
02-22-2010, 6:12 PM
It's not a bad lathe. It's not a good lathe either. The lowest speed is 700 rpm or so, making turning anything over about 8 inches a thrill. Lots of power for a drill press, and variable speed.
As mentioned, if you can get the band saw and jointer, they are pretty decent. Again lots of power for an 11" band saw, and it's variable speed.
They last forever. Built like a tank.

Dave Verstraete
02-22-2010, 6:13 PM
Jason
I use mine for a drill press 95% of the time. I like the variable speed feature for this. The table tends to flex out of square, though. Occasionally I set it up for drilling the ends of boards. I haven't used it as a lathe lately but it was sufficient for this novice.

johnny means
02-22-2010, 6:23 PM
Probably be able to get a good lathe and a good drillpress in the same space as a shopsmith. They aren't real big space consumers. Also nice to be able to move a dp for a extra long or odd shaped parts.

Glen Butler
02-22-2010, 9:50 PM
Probably be able to get a good lathe and a good drillpress in the same space as a shopsmith. They aren't real big space consumers. Also nice to be able to move a dp for a extra long or odd shaped parts.

I'll second this motion, and add that stand alone units are also going to work better. The thing I liked most about the shopsmith was horizontal boring. Both the drill press and lathe were good enough when I was a teen, just needing something, but I have outgrown that I wouldn't consider getting one.

Dave Lehnert
02-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I have owned one since 1989. I like the Shopsmith a lot. Built like a tank.
You will use the horizontal drill press more than you think. Also makes a great sanding machine. The variable speed is something that makes you wonder why other brands don't use it.
If looking for a used one the Shopsmiths made after Nov 1984 has a two bearing quill. Much better for lathe use. You can also buy it to replace on an older machine. Can get them on sale for around $100

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/twobearingquill.htm

Jon Canfield
02-24-2010, 12:16 PM
I recently sold my 520, but the drill press and horizontal boring were excellent. The lathe was good for many things, but large out of round pieces really had it rocking and walking.

Jon

Paul Atkins
02-24-2010, 1:00 PM
I've got an old one and use it for odd jobs, mostly drilling, altho I've used it for a spindle lathe. Here is a steering wheel for a brewery wagon I made. Try this on your drill press.

Dell Moore
02-24-2010, 1:10 PM
Mine I set up right now for mortising. I'll be using it for boring and lathe soon, and if I ever find one I'll be grabbing a Bandsaw if I can ever find one that the price is right. Oh, the disc sander can seriously kick butt, you can EASILY get it going too fast.

Jerome Hanby
02-24-2010, 4:00 PM
Mine I set up right now for mortising. I'll be using it for boring and lathe soon, and if I ever find one I'll be grabbing a Bandsaw if I can ever find one that the price is right. Oh, the disc sander can seriously kick butt, you can EASILY get it going too fast.

Do you have the mortising attachment or just use it to drill out the mortises?