PDA

View Full Version : Diameter gauge

Jeff Cargle
02-22-2010, 1:08 PM
Has anyone ever made a gauge to determine the correct diameter of a piece. It would be used while turning and once it was the correct size it would drop away to let you know you had reach the correct diameter. I have seen one that utilized alot of indexing tabs that you placed on a rod to mark where to cut then while cutting it would drag along then drop out of the way.

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2010, 2:12 PM
Jeff what kind of turnings are we talking about. Hollow Forms, bowls, spindles, etc?????

Dave Ogren
02-22-2010, 2:21 PM
Jeff,

In the metal working industry, specifically O.D. Grinding that gage is called an Arnold Gage.

I don't see any use for that in wood turning, maybe for repeatability in spindles.

Good Luck,

Dave

Thom Sturgill
02-22-2010, 3:21 PM
I believe it was in Ernie Conover's book. It was for production spindle turning, which is about the only use that makes much sense. I have seen turners use a series of fixed gauges for different diameters, I think Dale Nish used some when he showed making his birdhouses.

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2010, 3:46 PM
If it is for spindle work I can see maybe using one but on bowls, Hollow Forms, platters, etc. I don't see a need for it. I turn what I feel is pleasing to the eye and don't really worry about diameters and height. Mainly the thickness of the walls/bottoms is all I measure and the diameter of plates or bowls if I am making a set. Otherwise to me they are hand turned one of kind piece.

Matt Owen
02-22-2010, 5:28 PM
I made a gage that allows me to quickly turn a tennon sized to fit my different chuck jaws. It's a simple go/no go gage. I place it over the tennon that I'm sizing, and turn until the gage slips down over the tenon. Works great.

Matt

Richard Madison
02-22-2010, 8:19 PM
Dial calipers for small stuff. For big stuff, as Bernie said, form is important and size really isn't.

Chris Stolicky
02-23-2010, 10:07 AM
For spindle turning, and depending on the diameters you are looking for, I have seen people use wrenches as a way to measure sizes.

If you are looking for precision, however, make sure you are using a decent quality wrench.

Just turn down the wood until the open part of a wrench fits over the spindle.

Jeff Cargle
02-24-2010, 4:19 PM
Thanks guys for all of your input! I finally found the name of the gauge I was talking about it is called the semaphore jig.