PDA

View Full Version : Jet Shaper Model JWS-25CS Advice

Anthony Anderson
02-22-2010, 1:04 PM
Does anyone have this shaper? I am seriously considering stepping up to a shaper. Currently, I don't have any shaper cutters, and I know that will be a major future expense, along with a power feeder.

But specifically I am looking for user's exeriences with this particular Jet shaper. Model JWS-25CS, 3hp. To the owners, are you happy with the fence system? Power? After owning this particular model, do you wish you would have purchased a different model/brand? To those that have used this shaper, but not owned it, did you go on to purchase a shaper from another manufacturer, because of something you didn't like on the Jet JWS-25CS?

I have also noticed that Jet has a newer 3hp shaper as well, but it seems the main difference is the newer version has an extruded aluminum fence. May be more differences, but that is all I have found at the moment. The newer version may allow the spindles to be changed from the side of the cabinet rather than the back on the JWS-25CS.

Currently, I am using a NYW router table, which works well, but I would like a shaper to take on the heavier operations. I have a lot of router bits, about 90% are 1/2" shank. From what I have been reading, found while researching, the router bits can be used in a shaper, the rate of feed must be slowed down though. Does the rate of feed have to be slowed to a crawl, or is the rate of feed similar to the router table?

If anyone can add to this discussion, it would be of great help.

Thanks, Bill

Rod Sheridan
02-22-2010, 1:14 PM
Hi Bill, I don't own that model shaper so I can't give you any advice regarding it.

I do however use my shaper a fair bit, mostly with an insert cutter head using HSS knives.

I do use the occasional router bit, however since I don't own a router I bought them for use in the shaper.

My shaper had a maximum spindle speed of 10,000 RPM which was fine for the larger bits. If you want to compare feed speeds it would be proportional to the speed difference between the recommended RPM and your shaper RPM.

For example if a router bit had a 12,000 RPM recommended speed and your shaper had a 9,000 RPM speed the feed rate on the shaper would be 9,000/12,000 or 3/4 of the feed rate of the router.

When you get into larger router bits, the performance is better in the shaper due to lack of vibration, accuracy, stiffness and power of the shaper.

Of course once you go from router bits to shaper cutters, the performance jumps again drastically.

I'd suggest a stock feeder is a must for use on the shaper, especially with insert heads.

The quality of cut with a feeder is much better than when hand fed, and the speed and safety are enhanced.

Regards, Rod.

Anthony Anderson
02-22-2010, 3:23 PM
Thanks for the calculation info Rod. Are you running a CMT moulding cutterhead, or another brand? Are blank knives available, to allow cutting and gringing your own knives?

Thanks again, Bill

Rod Sheridan
02-22-2010, 3:35 PM
Hi Bill, I'm running a steel cutterhead similar to the CMT one and I usually buy my knives from Dimar.

Blank knives are available if you want to grind some custom profiles.

Regards, Rod.

Tom Hintz
02-22-2010, 3:44 PM
I had a similar JET shaper in the shop for review but am not sure if the fence is different or not. It was 3 hp though and I have photos and a video of this machine at the link below. Hopefully some of the images or info there will be of help to you.

I'm not a dedicated shaper guy but of the shapers I had in the shop, this Jet was one of the best. The fence was very easy to use and has all of the functions I could think of needing. When you see the motor it looks more like a 5 HP or something but has lots of guts and fears no cutter size. I used some panel raising cutters that pretty much maxed out the diameter capacity and the motor could have cared less.

See the Jet Shaper review here (http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jetjws25xrvu.html)

Jeff Monson
02-22-2010, 5:05 PM
Woodcraft has the model that Tom reviewed on sale now for 1099.00 with free shipping, that is a great deal!!!

Anthony Anderson
02-22-2010, 5:52 PM
Thanks for the link Tom. I did find your review, and found it helpful. You reviewed the 25X, and the one I am considering is the 25CS. Jeff, you are correct regarding the sale at Woodcraft @ $1099, and that is the one I am looking at, the 25CS, but different than the one Tom reviewed, which was the 25X. Actually the sale at Woodcraft caught my attention, and made me start thinking about the shaper purchase. With free shipping with liftgate, to my door, that is a hard to beat deal.

Rod, If I decide to get the shaper, I would like to get more info on your cutterhead setup. If that would be okay.

Thanks again. Bill

Van Huskey
02-22-2010, 6:08 PM
Thanks for the link Tom. I did find your review, and found it helpful. You reviewed the 25X, and the one I am considering is the 25CS. Jeff, you are correct regarding the sale at Woodcraft @ $1099, and that is the one I am looking at, the 25CS, but different than the one Tom reviewed, which was the 25X. Actually the sale at Woodcraft caught my attention, and made me start thinking about the shaper purchase. With free shipping with liftgate, to my door, that is a hard to beat deal.

Rod, If I decide to get the shaper, I would like to get more info on your cutterhead setup. If that would be okay.

Thanks again. Bill

The 25cs for 1099 shipped is a VERY good deal.

Rod Sheridan
02-22-2010, 6:51 PM

Thanks again. Bill

Of course, PM me any time..........Regards, Rod.

Glen Butler
02-22-2010, 10:08 PM
I have not used that shaper, but I have seen one. The table is quite small and I feel you would be hard pressed getting a power feed mounted to it. The fence is also rinky-dink. I have the Powermatic 25A and the table is barely large enough at ~30" wide.

Anthony Anderson
02-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Thank You Glenn. That is very helpful info. That is a great price on the Jet JWS-25CS, but not if there are shortcomings that I have to work around. Very helpful.

Maybe it would be better to wait for awhile and get a different model. The Jet is within my budget, but I am not in a hurry to make the purchase.

Thanks again. Bill

Glen Butler
02-23-2010, 12:44 AM
3HP is plenty of power for most woodworkers. I run some pretty heavy profiles and will be looking for a 5hp soon. The 25A is pretty heavy, but on the light side for a great shaper IMO. I would recommend the 25A if you can find one used. The PM2700 is an excellent machine, or the Jet 35X can be had for less money and about the same features.

Philip Johnson
02-23-2010, 1:31 AM
Anthony I have not seen the 25 series jet but considered the 35 ended up with a powermatic 2700. But the PM is over twice as much. The one thing that was pointed out to me that the PM had over the jet was a better fence. The pm has micro adjust on both sides and the jet on one side at least on the 35. I had trouble on a fence on an import shaper so it was important to me to get the best fence I could, the PM does have a great fence. It also has dual dust collection which works well, a large table, digital height read out, and built in wheels which move it around very easy. For the price the jet may be the way to go to just a matter of how much you want to spend.

Phil

Randy Henry
02-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I recently purchased a PM 2700 on CL for $2200, which included a Freud lock miter cutter. This was used very little and in new condition. This is my first shaper and what a beast. This has the 5 hp., which is probably more than my needs, but at the price, I could not turn it down. The fence is great, with the micro adjust on both sides, an adjust for the entire fence, dual d/c ports, the casters, and the large table top. I went to my local dealer and looked at all the Pm's, Jets, General, and then across town to the Grizzly showroom. For the money, the 2700 was without doubt the finest. Granted, for new, the price is high, but, you will be glad you did it. For me, the electronic height scale is the best feature. I took the spindle all the way down, zeroed it out, and after I set all of my cutter heights and wrote them down on the template board, I'm set. I can take cutters out, put them back in, dial in the reading I'm ready. The 2700 is slowly replacing the router table with the Milwaukee 5625 which has done great. About the only drawback with the shaper is the price of the cutters. I went with Freeborn for the cope/stick/panel, and a Weaver knockoff coping jig. For app. $50 more, all of my cutters, including the cope/pattern are the 1 1/4 bore. This was worth it to me as the cut may be a little better and I don't have to change out the spindles every time.