PDA

View Full Version : work light

jason lambert
02-22-2010, 12:52 PM
I am looking for a LED work light to attach to my powermatic 3520b lathe. The trouble is most grill lights the arm is not long enought on, I hate floresent.
Any sugestions where to get a nice one?

Bob Haverstock
02-22-2010, 1:02 PM
Jason,

I just purchased a 45 diode LED light from Harbor Freight. I hope to mount it over my Nova. I'm considering an elbw type overhead mount with a verical adjustment.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2010, 3:56 PM
Jason,

I just purchased a 45 diode LED light from Harbor Freight. I hope to mount it over my Nova. I'm considering an elbw type overhead mount with a verical adjustment.

Bob

Which one did you get Bob??

Bob Haverstock
02-22-2010, 4:30 PM
Which one did you get Bob??

Bernie,

Item # 66308 270 lumens 4.5 Watts

Bob

Pete Jordan
02-22-2010, 6:17 PM
Hey Bob,

Can you post a link? I cannot find it.

Pete

Mark Hubl
02-22-2010, 6:22 PM
Hey Bob,

Can you post a link? I cannot find it.

Pete

I think this is it. Be interested how bright it is.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66308

charlie knighton
02-22-2010, 6:34 PM
i got several LED lights, most you have to fiddle with unscrewing to turn on, no push this button, with these lights i have frustration

my brother gave me a work light, i put 100 watt bulb in it, no frustration, i only use it with the lathe stopped and i want to inspect the turning, otherwize i just use the overhead lights

alex carey
02-22-2010, 7:15 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100664505&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100664505&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D27X-_-100664505

i use two of these, an led with a magnifying glass, and then a lamp.

http://media.digikey.com/photos/Aven%20Photos/26.505.jpg

Ken Glass
02-22-2010, 7:29 PM
Jason,
I hung (3) three track lights on the ceiling above my 3520B with bright incandescent bulbs and it makes the area very bright. I also sometimes strap a long LED light to my hollowing rig to see on the inside of a form as needed. Works great for me.

Justin Stephen
02-22-2010, 7:36 PM
I'd like to find an inexpensive flexible (snake, goose neck) head lamp on a floor stand but I have not found one yet on HF or the home warehouse chain websites. I may be able to find what I want at an office supply place. Don't care of it is incandescent, LED or fluorescent, as long as it is not halogen.

James Combs
02-22-2010, 7:47 PM
Justin, let me in on what is wrong with halogen. Heat maybe?? I was considering some for my self.

I'd like to find an inexpensive flexible (snake, goose neck) head lamp on a floor stand but I have not found one yet on HF or the home warehouse chain websites. I may be able to find what I want at an office supply place. Don't care of it is incandescent, LED or fluorescent, as long as it is not halogen.

Justin Stephen
02-22-2010, 7:52 PM
Justin, let me in on what is wrong with halogen. Heat maybe?? I was considering some for my self.

Yeah, I just don't like the heat and the annoyance of changing halogen bulbs. The super bright light of a halogen lamp is also overkill for what I would use it for, which would mostly just be for shining into the bottom of bowls and hollow forms to complement overhead lighting.

I'd rather not have to clip the light to the lathe itself and the lathe will be away from the wall so wall mounting is not an option.

James Combs
02-22-2010, 8:18 PM
I understand, thanks for the feedback.

Mark Hubl
02-22-2010, 9:04 PM
Halogen is hot! I like it for lighting up a room for painting or work, but it would cook me at the lathe. I use a couple of clamp task lights overhead with CFLs. Very flexible for me. Not a big fan of CFLs but in this application they are working well. I also have an fluorescent fixture almost above my lathe.

If you want something on a goose neck, try guitar center or other music store. I bought a cheapo ($20.00) microphone stand with gooseneck and heavy base. I use it for holding a dust collection fitting. Could easily be used for clamping a light.

Justin Stephen
02-22-2010, 9:56 PM
If you want something on a goose neck, try guitar center or other music store. I bought a cheapo ($20.00) microphone stand with gooseneck and heavy base. I use it for holding a dust collection fitting. Could easily be used for clamping a light.

Ooooh, that's a great idea, thanks! Mic stands usually have nice, heavy bases too.

jason lambert
02-23-2010, 11:51 AM
LED is cool and uses alot less power. Haligen is the worst, CF is not bad but still get hot.

that 45 led one looks good but would have no idea how to mount it please report back on the brightness and how you mount it.

Michael Mills
02-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Similar to what Mark said…microphone gooseneck.

I use two 19" gooseneck sections from Sam Ash (online) they also have 6" and 11". They all screw together and into the base. Look under "microphones mounts and accessories". Plenty of room to run the zip cord through them.
I mounted mine to the wall to provide light for the headstock, tailstock, or outboard.
You can also mount it to a magnet to attach directly to your lathe. I didn’t want to have to move the light base or have it in the way…all I have to do is swivel it to a new position.

I used a low profile (the entire fixture is about silver dollar diameter) spotlight from Home Depot (about $10)
Total cost should be about $30 for the 2 goosenecks, base, and light fixture.
Mike

Reed Gray
02-23-2010, 1:05 PM
I have been using the energy saving type twist bulbs for some time, and like them. I don't seem to notice any of the strobe effect that I have seen with other type bulbs. I will not have any of the halogen lights in my shop. With the way I crank out shavings, and the way they fly, the halogen lights are a fire hazard in my shop. Add to that I am one of those crazy types who is in shorts 99% of the time, and it is too much for me. I do use a light from Blue Max, who used to advertise on the back of Woodturning Design. It is a floor model multi spectrum light, of the florescent type that the quilters and needle point people use. Ott lights are another brand. They are almost as good as sun light.

robo hippy

Dave Mueller
02-23-2010, 4:15 PM
I built the attached work light out of an old brake drum, some 1/2" pipe, a brass fitting and a desk lamp (about $20 on-line). The brake disk is heavy enough that it will not move when you reposition the light, but can easily be moved. I tried a spiral compact fluorescent bulb and thought it was burned out, returned it to Lowes and had the same problem with the replacement. Turned out that the base of the bulb was too wide and would not make contact with the bottom of the socket when screwed in. I just stuck with an incandescent bulb.

Bottom line, I am really pleased with this format - it works really well and is easy to position.

Dave