PDA

View Full Version : Recall on Ridgid R4511 table saw

Jeremy Killingbeck
02-22-2010, 11:41 AM
I was at my local lumber yard this past weekend and saw that the Ridge R4511 table saw has a recall for an arbor issue. It sounded like a fairly serious problem that could cause it to let a blade go. Below is the link to the recall if anyone is interested. I know that it was not to long back that HD was selling off these table saw & a lot of people were buying them. I wanted to pass on the info on just in case.

http://www.ridgid.com/Download/R4511_PR.pdf

Myk Rian
02-22-2010, 11:51 AM
It is old news.

Van Huskey
02-22-2010, 1:52 PM
It is old news.

Just to add to this the recall was a good while ago and it is very unlikely that any of the recent sale saws were part of the recall.

Dave Gaul
02-22-2010, 2:05 PM
I got mine during the $299 clearance deal, and I checked the date code against the recall. Recall date codes were CD0829 to CD0837... Mine was CD09?? so I don't think any of the recent ones are affected.

I also hear stories of Ridgid/Emerson sending techs to peoples' homes to fix the arbors!

Vic Damone
02-22-2010, 2:18 PM
With the amount of casual traffic this site gets and with a potential danger as great as a failing arbor from an unretrofitted unit on the used market it's worth repeating. Jeremy's posting the actual recal information is a plus, well done.

Van Huskey
02-22-2010, 3:07 PM
I also hear stories of Ridgid/Emerson sending techs to peoples' homes to fix the arbors!

Emerson has spent a lot of money on tool recalls in the last couple of years, I have a 50 some odd pound package of radial arm gaurd and table parts they sent me. I wouldn't have bothered since I haven't had an issue with the saw in 20 years but my gaurd and table were pretty beat up. Not saying anything bad about Emerson since I think the RAS guard was a non-issue and they jumped on the arbor issues of the 4511 really quickly.

David Hostetler
02-22-2010, 3:12 PM
While this is an old issue. It is good to bring it up periodically. This is / was a pretty major problem. Thanks for posting...

Myk Rian
02-22-2010, 4:58 PM
A simple search shows many times it was announced.
That prevents over posting on the same subject.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118613&highlight=ridgid+r4511+recall
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118631&highlight=ridgid+r4511+recall

Vic Damone
02-24-2010, 4:29 AM
[QUOTE=Myk Rian;1352639]A simple search shows many times it was announced.

What is over posting? I don't understand the problem with this post. Since I don't spend as much time here as you it's the first I've heard of the recall and I own a Rigid 3650. Without knowing about the recall why would one even think to do a search? If you were already aware of the safety recall why did you respond at all, especially in a way some might see as negative?

Van Huskey
02-24-2010, 6:22 AM
[QUOTE=Myk Rian;1352639]A simple search shows many times it was announced.

What is over posting? I don't understand the problem with this post.

I agree, I missed the RAS recall for a very long time, dunno how but I did. It popped up in an unrelated thread which I happened to read. In fact recalls may very well be worthy of a sticky. I have never been on a car forum that didn't sticky recall info for cars covered in the forum and a failing arbor is potentially just as dangerous as many issues that result in vehicle recalls. In the end it might be the most useful bit of information someone ever gets from here.

Brandon Weiss
02-24-2010, 9:10 AM
A simple search shows many times it was announced.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118613&highlight=ridgid+r4511+recall
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118631&highlight=ridgid+r4511+recall

I don't understand and can't stand when somebody posts and others respond with a snide remark and links to other posts on this website. If your reply references another post to supplement your answer or if a person has requested help finding links to other posts, cool, but to not give any information besides links to other posts is a little rude in my opinion. I think it is an excellent idea to post about recalls, especially on a tool that is FREQUENTLY mentioned on this site. If something is popular, it is always good to have recall information out there about it.

Regardless, when somebody posts, if you are "bothered" by "another post on the same subject" just ignore it and read a post that interests you. It doesn't take up any of your time out of the day to skip over a post. It only becomes an inconvenience to you when you take the time to research other posts on the same subject, and reply to a post telling somebody they should have searched first. Either answer the question of a post or ignore it. Don't chastise somebody for not using the search function before they posted. That is not a requirement of this website and in fact it turns off new users of the Creek if they are chastised after posting something. Often times I would rather ask a question and receive the most up to date answers. Not the answers from last year when this post was discussed.

I love the Creek, but am not a contributor....yet. What has me on the fence is responses like yours Myk. Why contribute to a site that has people responding in a mannor like your response? I also know, however, that one person does not speak for everyone else and there are a few in every crowd. Thus, that's why I'm still here and will likely become a contributor to this site.

Whew, I guess this would be my rant for the day.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-24-2010, 9:44 AM
Hey guys.....let's tone it down please....

Glenn Clabo
02-24-2010, 1:44 PM
Brandon,
Those of us who have been around SMC since the beginning have taken great pride in the fact that we don't do the "that question was already asked" ... "do a search"...type of comments that many other forums end up doing way too much imo. Those who are just trying to help like the OP should be thanked...not treated badly. We try to be friendly and help people...without snide comments. However...every once in while............

Myk Rian
02-24-2010, 2:14 PM
Perhaps I should have said something like;

"Yes, this has been noted before."

Please accept my apologies.

Terry Hatfield
02-24-2010, 7:09 PM
Brandon,
Those of us who have been around SMC since the beginning have taken great pride in the fact that we don't do the "that question was already asked" ... "do a search"...type of comments that many other forums end up doing way too much imo. Those who are just trying to help like the OP should be thanked...not treated badly. We try to be friendly and help people...without snide comments. However...every once in while............

Well said Glenn. While I to used to get tired of people posting the same questions over and over again, it is a message board after all so one should post messages. :D Very seldom is there truly a new question and even more rarely is there ever truly a new answer.

t

Andrew Nemeth
02-24-2010, 7:52 PM
Well, as Norm always says "remember to read, understand and follow the safety instructions that came with your power tools. And remember, there's no more important safety rule than to wear these, safety glasses".

Re-posting issues regarding safety and hazards are never "old news".

-Andrew

Terry Hatfield
02-24-2010, 8:03 PM
Well, as Norm always says "remember to read, understand and follow the safety instructions that came with your power tools. And remember, there's no more important safety rule than to wear these, safety glasses".

Re-posting issues regarding safety and hazards are never "old news".

-Andrew

Couldn't imagine that safety glasses would do much good if the blade were flying. :eek:

Jeremy Killingbeck
02-24-2010, 9:19 PM
Just a FYI I did a search for "Ridge Recall" before I submitted this post, but I did not see any post that related to the table saw recall. I agree that it can get old when people repost thing on forums, but at the same time searching for something also gets old. I figured as serious as this issue was it was worth reposting even if it has already been discussed. If anything it now will show up if someone type "Ridge Recall" into the search on our forum, or if you search goole this post is the first result.

Dave Gaul
02-25-2010, 8:03 AM
Just a FYI I did a search for "Ridge Recall" before I submitted this post, but I did not see any post that related to the table saw recall. I agree that it can get old when people repost thing on forums, but at the same time searching for something also gets old. I figured as serious as this issue was it was worth reposting even if it has already been discussed. If anything it now will show up if someone type "Ridge Recall" into the search on our forum, or if you search goole this post is the first result.

I personally did not have a problem with your post at all... safety should always come first!

Maybe it is just a typo, but you typed "Ridge Recall", it is "Ridgid"... maybe that skewed your search results?

Myk Rian
02-25-2010, 8:07 AM
Do your search for r4511 recall.

Van Huskey
02-25-2010, 9:19 PM
Couldn't imagine that safety glasses would do much good if the blade were flying. :eek:

MAYBE a motorcycle helmet.