PDA

View Full Version : Simple gadget to flip big table top

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-22-2010, 11:27 AM
I've been working on a large table, 50" X 10' X 1 1/4". It's cherry and very heavy. I work alone and merely moving it around is a chore that has required two additional people. Recently I built a rolling cart that attaches to temporary cross beams secured to the underside of the top. It will be sanded (scraped) stained and sprayed on that cart. The cart allows me to position the face side of the top horizontally on either side of the cart or lay it flat. Wheels on the cart make it mobile. However, now that the face side is ready for stain, I have to access the underside for sanding and finishing. It will also need to be flipped several more times for various operations.
Yesterday I came up with a contraption to help me work alone. I mounted two steel bars on the ceiling and wrapped 2" nylon seat belt webbing twice around the table top and over the bars. The ends are connected with conveyor belt connectors. Interestingly, a straightened paper clip acts as the connection hinge.
I mounted the straps, pulled the bolts that act as axles and easily flipped the table top over. The webbing slides over the steel bars but never drags on the table top. I made brackets that secure the face side of the top to the cart and now have the back side available to work on.
For anyone who builds a solid wood table top, they want to warp. The 8/4 cross pieces you see on the back side of the top serve two functions. They hold the top to the cart, exposing the face side and they hold the top flat while it is disconnected from the base and apron. The table top is free to expand and contract.
Necessity really is the impetus for invention.

Lee Schierer
02-22-2010, 11:40 AM
As I read your post, I was gong to suggest that you use something like that to do the flipping. Isn't it neat how easy it works.