PDA

View Full Version : Finish on a wooden shop floor?

Mike Johnson - Chicago
03-31-2003, 11:53 AM
I have read many threads about shop floors, but I don't recall any addressing this:

I have just finished installing a floating subfloor in my shop. It is made with 4'x8' sheets of 3/4" T&G plywood on top of treated 2"x4" sleepers.

So now the thoughts going through my mind are:
1. Leave it unfinished (it's just a wear surface anyway)

2. Put varnish on it (hard top coat that will make it easier to clean)

3. Paint it a light color (brighter and makes it easier to find dropped items)

4. Lay vinyl tile on it (tough, bright, easy to clean, upscale look).

5. hardwood....eh, nevermind can't afford it.

Thoughts/comments/questions?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards,
M.J.

robertfsmith
03-31-2003, 12:42 PM
I would paint it a light color. It's gonna take a lot of abuse so the paint will be easy to repair, and if it gets a little slippery you can mix some sand in the paint and then you'll have a none skid floor. Plus like you said it will be easier to find something if you drop it.

The tile will most likly get ripped up if you move your machines around a lot, unless you have them on mobile bases.

The varnish might be a nice look too.

I guess it all depends on if you like the wood look or painted look for your floor. Although it don't much matter, you'll have it buried in sawdust and wood shavings soon anyway. Unless your one of those clean woodworkers.:p

Good luck on which ever you decide on.

Mike Evertsen
03-31-2003, 1:51 PM
I would go with commercial grade tile it's thicker and would hold up better,,, wood laminate would look good too,,,,,

Phil Phelps
03-31-2003, 5:32 PM
My tendency would be seal it and start workin' in the shop. It's gonna' get wear.

Gary
03-31-2003, 11:39 PM
1/4" tempered hardboard/masonite, screwed down and coated with epoxy paint or the material used for truck bed liners works great. It's fairly easy to replace a section if it gets really torn up, AND very easy to sweep. :)

Gary

Howard Barlow
04-01-2003, 1:42 AM
I painted my ply floor with light gray porch paint. Easier to sweep than bare, dab o' paint here and there from time to time.