PDA

View Full Version : New Old Member

Carl L Goff
02-22-2010, 10:21 AM
I would like to introduce my self. I am 74 yrs. old and have been woodworking for 5 1/2 yrs. I got a late start in woodworking. I didn't have the time when I was younger. I don't have a woodworking shop here at home, but I have a work bench in the garage and hand tools to work with. My brother-in-law and I have a shop at his house and we have a good set-up. I do most of my work with hand tools. I have been a member since 2007. I have gotten some good imformation here the last 2 yrs, and it has helped me a lot.
I though I would post some pictures of what I like to make. I am not thin skined so any bad remarks will not bother me, in fact they might help. I like to make country furniture like they did in the old days.
Here is a picture of a blanket chest I dovedtailed togeather in cherry.
The size is 37" long-22" High-16" Deep.
the chest in the middle is 20" long-11" tall-9" deep.
The little chest is 13" long-7" tall- 6 1/2" deep.
They all have dovetailed drawers.
Thanks for looking142886

David Christopher
02-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Carl, let me be the first one to welcome you to the creek, I dont think its ever too late to start to do something that you enjoy, so congrats on finding your hobby and you have shone us some beautiful chest

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Carl....Great projects!.....gorgeous wood and great joinery. Nicely done sir!

Sam Layton
02-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi Carl,

Welcome to the Creek. You did an excellent job on your blanket chest. Keep the projects coming.

Sam

Joe Shinall
02-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the Creek Carl. Very nice chests. Love the drawers at the bottom. Something you don't ever see. And love the proportions of the boxes. All three match perfectly from what the eye can see.

Carl L Goff
02-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Fellow's, I want to thank you all for the kind remarks. I really enjoy woodworking. I will post some more pictures in the future of the things that I have made. I like to use curly woods and that is not problems free as you all know. I use hand planes to finish the wood, it brings out the grain better than sanding. Now saying that I do have to hand sand sometimes. Thanks again.

gary Zimmel
02-22-2010, 7:30 PM
Welcome to the Creek Carl!
You may of got a late start to the woodworking
But it looks like you have picked it up very quickly....
Great job on the builds.
Looking forward to future projects.

Shekhar Malvadkar
02-22-2010, 8:20 PM
Very nice. Well made chest. Good craftsmanship.

Joe A Faulkner
02-22-2010, 8:22 PM
Very nice work Carl. I really like your choice in stock; the grain patterns really draw attention to piece. How did you finish these pieces?

Carl L Goff
02-22-2010, 9:48 PM
Joe, I just use Formby's Tung Oil Finish, 3 to 4 coats of low gloss. It will bring out the grain. I have tried other finishes but I like it on cherry the best.

John Thompson
02-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I just commented on your corner chest Carl. This is another fine piece of work and again... you have excess to some extremely nice cherry from your friend at the sawmill. It's just outstanding.

Have a good day in West by Golly... ;)

Van Huskey
02-23-2010, 4:18 PM
Those are all very nice!

George Beck
02-23-2010, 4:35 PM
If you are not thinned skinned this the creek is the place to be! I think your chest are great! Nice proportions.

George