PDA

View Full Version : JET JPS-10 Fence Clamping Problem

Charlie Gummer
02-22-2010, 9:31 AM
I've had my JPS-10 for a little over a year and a half. It's my first 'real' saw and thus far has been a reliable work horse.

I was setting the fence yesterday as I have done a million times and on engaging the clamping handle felt/heard a loud 'pop' followed by the handle moving freely (no clamping). At first I thought the 'lock plate' (item JPSF1-115 in the parts list) and the 'lock cam' (item JPSF1-117) were a single piece and that the clamping force exerted had separated them. Looking at the parts list I can see that they are, in fact, separate pieces to begin with (makes sense).

The lock plate is pretty clearly bent (I'm fairly certain this is supposed to be not bent). Other than that I don't see any other visual cues as to why the handle no longer clamps. Is there an adjustment I'm missing? I'm planning to order a replacement 'lock plate' from JET.

On a related note; the fence has always had some ability to rack in the channel when it's unlocked. I've done my best to adjust the nylon pads so that there is no racking when unlocked but there comes a point when the pads are too tight, preventing the fence from sliding freely. Is there supposed to be some degree of movement in the channel with the fence unlocked?

Thanks!
Charlie

Update: JET customer service is sending out a new lock plate with hardware. We'll see if that sorts it out, didn't think to ask them the question as to the fence racking when unlocked.

Chuck Isaacson
02-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Most Bies style fences will rack a little bit when not locked. I have the General version and it does. As for whats wrong, without pics it would be hard to tell.