PDA

View Full Version : Old sign, new use

Greg Peterson
02-22-2010, 12:27 AM
So we had this sign sitting around the warehouse that wasn't being used and the boss told me to throw it out. I brought it home because I knew exactly what to do with it.

I had bought a table saw hood when I had my old craftsman but never got around to using it on that saw and with the R4511 I didn't have a need for it. Or so I thought.

A while ago I hook up the hood right behind the blade on the DeWalt RAS and fired up the HF DC unit. I hooked the vacuum up to the blade guard and started cutting some scrap cedar. The Dylos unit was monitoring the shop air.

All (well, 99.9%) the saw dust was sucked straight into the dust hood. Mind you, it was just temporarily mounted on a narrow sheet of plywood just to see if it would even work.

Well, it worked so well I decided that I would build a shroud out of some masonite. Then along came this aluminum sign.

I cut out the square hole for the hood, files the edges, screwed the hood on and used metal duct tape to seal the seam between the shroud and hood. I also bent the outside edges forward and the top edge down a little.

All in all, I'm very happy with the results and find that the white reflects a lot of light. Using the RAS in the past was an extremely messy process. Now, it's a simple matter of hooking up the DC hose and away we go.

Dave Gaul
02-22-2010, 1:44 PM
That is a great idea!

I love to see things "re-purposed"!!!

Keep useful stuff out of landfills!