PDA

View Full Version : needing some help

scott stonestreet
02-21-2010, 11:21 PM
i am building a table for a local firedept, it is 6ft by 6ft, and i am wanting to insert some old pics in the table, my question is: has anyone ever used mirrorcoat, i have been reading about it and i thought i would use it on this project, any ideas will help, thanks scott

Jeff Willard
02-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Not really that familiar with mirrorcoat, but I have produced a number of pens using acrylic casting resin. What is it you need to know?

Glen Butler
02-22-2010, 1:28 AM
Is that the two part epoxy like surface that you lay down nice and thick, and it mostly levels itself? Then yes, what do you need to know?

scott stonestreet
02-22-2010, 6:10 PM
well what i am needing to know is i am wanting to put pics under the mirrorcoat, i thank this is a 2 part appoxy, i am needing to know about how thick the appoxy is and what kind of prep work i need to do, and do the pics need to have somekind of lamination over it, anything that you think will help, this my first table and i am just working my way through it, thanks scott

Ray Bell
02-22-2010, 8:14 PM
Some years ago, and maybe still? there was a process called decoupage. This is exactly what you are talking about. I believe it is a two part substance that you could pick up at any craft store. Prepare the surface as fine as you would like, as this will show around the pictures, lay out the pictures, and I think you just pour this decoupage over it. I don't know how they kept the liquid where it is supposed to be, but I'll bet if you find the media it will tell you how to do this.

Glen Butler
02-22-2010, 9:32 PM
It can and should be applied directly over the pictures. The pictures should be glued to the substrate using a thin even coat of white glue, then the epoxy finishing system just pours on top. It builds up quite thick on its own (~1/16"). You could dam it with tape to get it thicker. You need to work quickly and mix up enough the first time around to cover the whole thing. There is no time to mix more and have it be able to flow together and level out on its own. After you mix it there will be bubbles. Have a straw on hand to lightly blow on the surface. This will pop the bubbles.

Jeff Willard
02-22-2010, 10:16 PM
I think I'd experiment with some similar photos first. I've done many dozens of pens with cigar bands underneath the casting resin, and while most bands handled it okay, occasionally I would end up with one with ink that would run. I believe that actual silver or dye based photos would be fine, something from a computer printer might act differently. I'd play with it some before making any major commitment.

And yes, it is in essence, decoupage.

scott stonestreet
02-23-2010, 6:19 PM
hay thanks guys, i understand what you are saying about trying it in other pics first, this was just a idea that i had and i have never seen it done before, i will post pics when i am done, thanks again scott