PDA

View Full Version : Need info on changing blades on 20" planer

Craig D Peltier
02-21-2010, 9:23 PM
I have a PM model 208 20" planer I want to change the blades on.

I have the blades. I have that sawhorse looking jig it comes with. I dont have a dial indicator but am willing to buy.

If I get dial indicator do I need the sawhorse jig?

What other special tools will I need?

Should I also change something else while in there? I heard maybe bearings if I remember but I think I would need a pulley puller or something.

I looked for info on here but couldnt find any in the search engine.

Thanks

Lynn Kasdorf
02-21-2010, 9:37 PM
Here is the info you need:
Bob Vaugan's jointer and planer videos (http://wiki.owwm.com/Jointer%20And%20Planer%20Knife%20Setting%20Videos. ashx)

Paul Ryan
02-21-2010, 9:49 PM
Craig,

If you have that "saw horse looking jig" that is all you should need. I have the little brother to your planer and use the same jig to set mine without using my dial indicator. That jig works slick. Just make sure the blade is touching the center of the lower part of the jig and the feet on the jig are pressed firmly on the cutter head. If you dont have a manual let me know and I can send you a copy of the page from mine showing how to use the jig. You should not need a dial indicator though.

John Thompson
02-21-2010, 9:54 PM
I don't use a dial indicator on my 20" either Craig.. the jig should get the job done and you already have a tip on using it from Paul. That site Lynn posted looks to be useful also...

Craig D Peltier
02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks, awhile back I spoke to a guy who does it for the big shops around here. He was like $150hr and travel counts. He mentioned something about bearings I think.

John Thompson
02-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks, awhile back I spoke to a guy who does it for the big shops around here. He was like $150hr and travel counts. He mentioned something about bearings I think.

I doubt very seriously you will be in need of bearings if you are in a home shop Craig. It bearings go bad they will start to scream or you will hear a metal grinding sound. You can check them when you have them off for any play but.. not likely IMO or you would have heard some metal to metal by now. The guy you mentioned was probably servicing commercial shops who run the machines many hours a day.

I have a 20" that I purchased 4 years ago and am in the shop daily. I probably have over 30,000 linear feet on the original bearings and they are as sound as the day I first used it. You might check your manual to see if they recommend changing oil in the gear case after so many hours. You may not have enough hours on it to warrant that yet. I just changed mine again several months ago. There is probably a sticker on the side of the gearbox stating how many hours of use before changing. It's usally lower the first time so you get any gear filings out of the case that will wear down when the gears are new and not broke in.

BTW.. if you do ever get to the point of the oil change.. use the proper weight oil and if your machine is built like mine.. they put the oil re-fill plug in the most impossible place to get to you could ever dream up. I have to refill the case using a 3/8" surgical tube. I wold fill the 3' long tube and then allow it to slowly (and I mean slowly with 90 weight gear oil) drain down the tube into the case. That little fun job took about and hour to fill the case to the over-flow line. Pain in the hinny but... ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :(

Check the belts.. chains.. clean the columns.. add the blades and then..... carry on. :)

Craig D Peltier
02-22-2010, 11:16 AM
I doubt very seriously you will be in need of bearings if you are in a home shop Craig. It bearings go bad they will start to scream or you will hear a metal grinding sound. You can check them when you have them off for any play but.. not likely IMO or you would have heard some metal to metal by now. The guy you mentioned was probably servicing commercial shops who run the machines many hours a day.

I have a 20" that I purchased 4 years ago and am in the shop daily. I probably have over 30,000 linear feet on the original bearings and they are as sound as the day I first used it. You might check your manual to see if they recommend changing oil in the gear case after so many hours. You may not have enough hours on it to warrant that yet. I just changed mine again several months ago. There is probably a sticker on the side of the gearbox stating how many hours of use before changing. It's usally lower the first time so you get any gear filings out of the case that will wear down when the gears are new and not broke in.

BTW.. if you do ever get to the point of the oil change.. use the proper weight oil and if your machine is built like mine.. they put the oil re-fill plug in the most impossible place to get to you could ever dream up. I have to refill the case using a 3/8" surgical tube. I wold fill the 3' long tube and then allow it to slowly (and I mean slowly with 90 weight gear oil) drain down the tube into the case. That little fun job took about and hour to fill the case to the over-flow line. Pain in the hinny but... ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :(

Check the belts.. chains.. clean the columns.. add the blades and then..... carry on. :)

Thanks John, I have changed the oil since I didnt know how much the previous owner had used it. I have used it alot and finally changed after 1 year.