PDA

View Full Version : Easter egg & egg cup

Thom Sturgill
02-21-2010, 9:17 PM
Finally got back into the shop after about a month. Didn't realize how much of a funk I was in after the last piece was stolen. Only tried to turn once since and everything I touched went bad so I left after 2 hours, then sickness and cold weather has kept me out. Since Easter is coming up in a little over a month, I thought I'd turn my hand to making an egg and try to rescue what WAS going to be another Aboynia Burl goblet until I lost the natural edge. C & C welcome.
The egg is Olive 2" dia and 2 3/4" long the cup is Burl and Wenge 2 3/4" dia and a little over 2" tall. The cup is CA buffed and waxed the egg just buff and wax.

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2010, 9:19 PM
Great forms, beautiful woods and finishes! Hope getting a little lathe time has helped make you feel better!

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

John Keeton
02-21-2010, 9:26 PM
Thom, that is some really nice work. I love the look of the cup with the burl and wenge, and the finish sets it off. Nice complimenting colors in the olive egg, too.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-21-2010, 9:30 PM
Thom you got to feed that chicken some more, just kidding ;-))))
Nice work - nice wood

David E Keller
02-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Very pretty little egg cup and a nice looking egg.

Richard Madison
02-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Very nice pieces Thom. Definitely should help de-funk you.

Van Huskey
02-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Very cool. I love the egg cup.

Roland Martin
02-22-2010, 6:54 AM
Looks like you're back. Very nice work on these, colors blend very well, impressive turnings.

Thom Sturgill
02-22-2010, 7:26 AM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. It does help to get something finished, and that its warming up enough to enjoy the shop.

I was working on another piece too. It was to be a hollow form, but has already come off the lathe three times (Tenon came off and a recess has slit out ttwice). Spalted (and too punky) maple. If I can save it, it will be a shallow bowl. Probably should be firewood, but I don't want to let it beat me!

Gonna try laminating some easter eggs and challenge the club members.

Frank Frazier
02-22-2010, 3:28 PM
Hi Thom, beautiful work.

I am new to the creek and not quite up on the acronyms so I will ask - what is "The cup is CA buffed and waxed" CA buffed?

Thanks, Frank

Thom Sturgill
02-22-2010, 3:41 PM
Sorry, I forget not everyone knows the lingo, I didn't not that long ago.

CA is Cyano-Acrylate (super glue) applied with a paper towel about 6 layers. Makes a very tough surface. Then buffed using the Beall buffing system which is two grits of compound followed by carnuba wax. I then add a layer of Renaissance Wax by hand because while carnuba is very hard, it shows finger prints and Ren Wax does not.

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2010, 3:42 PM
Really nice work with some good looking wood.

Frank Frazier
02-22-2010, 5:02 PM
Thanks Thom, hopefully i will be up to speed soon.

I use the Beal system but have always used it on bare wood.

Now the next question (without getting me in trouble with the moderator) is there a good source for larger quantities of CA? I am used to buying it small quantities, gap filling, to be used as an adhesive. I am not sure if this is a "proper" question for the Creek.

Thanks, Frank

Skip Spaulding
02-22-2010, 5:26 PM
Glad to hear your back, very nice cup and egg! They will make a real nice Easter decoration.

Thom Sturgill
02-22-2010, 5:52 PM
There are several, I have bought from Klingspors (http://www.woodworkingshop.com) and The Sanding Glove (http://www.thesandingglove.com) both have good prices. No relation to either, just a satisfied customer. Our club president buys in case quantity and passes it on at his cost. I have bought from him for much less than on-line, but I don't know where he buys from.