PDA

View Full Version : bar/bureau/credenza/buffet thingy

Andy Henriksen
10-29-2004, 12:35 PM
First post. And for the record, I did try to search and scan first, but I appologize if I missed a similar earlier post.

anyway, I'm very much a novice WWer. A few projects here and there, but just recently getting into it a bit more. Anyway, I'm just starting to think about a low against-the-wall style bar cabinet for the dining room. I'm just looking for some ideas, thoughts, pics, etc., to get the creative juices flowing. Probably looking to go 'medium' on the fancy-schmancy scale. Probably some rich walnut or cherry. This would be my first attempt at drawers or cabinetry (scary!) too. So any links to cabinetry 101 articles would be nice too. I know this is sorta vague, but I don't quite know where to start. I've only ever done little things - boxes, and frames, and the like. Thanks!

Ted Shrader
10-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi Andy -

Welcome to the Creek. Great place to hang out and discuss ideas/life.

I know you said you hadn't searched the Creek yet. May I respectfully suggect you do that. I am certain you will get some ideas from the fine work that has been posted here. From those ideas you will be able to come up with a design and be able to ask more specific questions. Please take this in the spirit intended - that a search would really be the best starting point to answer your questions.

Regards,
Ted

Ken Fitzgerald
10-29-2004, 1:20 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek Andy! Wade in the water is fine.....watch out for the Photo Cops....they demand pics! Again...Welcome!

Tyler Howell
10-29-2004, 1:26 PM
Welcome To the Creek Andy. He won't admit it but Ken has been drafted to the the Photo Cop Force.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-29-2004, 1:43 PM
Ah....but Tyler....that leaves you and Chris competing for the Commanding Officer position! :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
10-29-2004, 2:43 PM
Welcome, Andy. This is a good place to hang out, despite the huge pressure from the picture police... :D

As to your question, I'd suggest you consider a buffet design along the Mission or Shaker style since these both are reasonably easy to build while still offering terrific opportunities to learn. Both also are pretty universal in the "it goes nicely with" department. Both will also look very nice in domestic woods like cherry or walnut. See if you can get a copy of the Stickley catalog which is a wonderful "idea book". The Pottery Barn catalog also is a nice source of ideas for traditional, but "not fancy", furniture. And don't be afraid of not having a detailed plan! Working with the major dimensions you want to achieve, you can build the carcass and measure for everything else right from the piece, including the drawers.

Chris Padilla
10-29-2004, 7:45 PM
Andy, welcome to the Creek. Where are you coming at us from? :) You'll find lottsa good ideas in here. :)

Andy Henriksen
11-01-2004, 3:22 PM
Finally back to my computer after a long weekend. To answer some of the q's - I DID try to search first. And I'm in Ypsilanti, MI. My "shop" is a unheated, uninsulated one car garage that I share with the mower, garden tools, and at least one mouse. We're just getting into the snowsuit woodworking season.

Thanks for the tip on the mission and shaker styles. That alone gives me some more things to search for. Glad to be here. I'll be sure to take some pics if I ever get anything completed.

Ted Shrader
11-01-2004, 3:36 PM
Andy -

The mouse won't eat much - of your wood anyway. :)

Try this book (hopefully in your public library): Cabinets and Built-Ins; A Practical Guide to Building Professional-Quality Cabinetry by Paul Levine from Rodale Publishing.

Regards,
Ted

Andy Henriksen
11-01-2004, 4:37 PM
Thanks Ted,

I might try to find that book tonite. The mouse, for the record, has been helping himself to plenty of birdseed and grass seed. But since I rarely refill the birdfeeder, or bother seeding the deadspots in the yard, I guess I'm just glad that someone is getting some use out of the stuff.

Alan Turner
11-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Andy,
A thread by Mark Singer got me to the design forum, again.

If you have a collection of older FWW mags, there was a Southern Hundboard print, a repro piece which was quite attractive, published in 1982 or so. It might give you an idea of a place to start. I beieve it was doors on the outsides, and 2 drqwers in the center section. Probably about 6' wide, and 18-20" deep. Tapered legs. Pretty standard construction techniques. Not a simple piece, depending upon your desired level of detail, but a place to start.
Feel free to email me if you can't find it.
Alan

Pete Lamberty
11-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Someone mentioned cataloges as a good source for ideas. Try to get a Thos. Moser catalog or visit his website.

Jim Becker
11-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Someone mentioned cataloges as a good source for ideas. Try to get a Thos. Moser catalog or visit his website.
"Excellent taste", Pete! The Stickley catalog is also a "must have"...but believe it or not, the Pottery Barn catalogs are very popular as "idea books" with many folks.

Dick Parr
11-12-2004, 3:15 PM
Jim, Please Don't say Pottery Barn to loud around my wife. :( She will want me to make something else out there. :rolleyes: Between the Pottery Barn and the Country Sampler I don't know where to hide. :D She finally caught on that I don't need a new tool for each project. :( ;)

Jim Becker
11-12-2004, 3:44 PM
Sorry, Dick...other than their Manhattan chairs which I visually covet ever time I see them, I'd be unlikely to buy furniture from them, but they have a lot of kewel "different" designs and ideas which I find interesting!

Dan McLaughlin
11-12-2004, 5:59 PM
If you like PotteryBarn catalogues (or if your wife/SO likes them), try Restoration Hardware catalogues (Dick - keep them away from your wife ). :D

Andy Henriksen
11-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks for all the tips. You are all definately right about the catalogs as a source of inspiration. Normally, I don't pay much attention to them when they arrive, but I now realize that as a novice ww'er, I need to be more aware of other's work, even the big guys like pottery barn, crate and barrel, etc. If I can ever get a respectable project done, I'll be sure to post pics. As for now, I'm just trying to get the shop usable. I don't even have any pegboard hung yet.:(

Thanks again - smc rocks.