PDA

View Full Version : First Finished Turning In A LONG While

George Guadiane
02-21-2010, 8:26 PM
I had been dealing with the mid-winter funk till yesterday. I went out to the shop to start on a "mystery" piece that will take a while to get finished.
I worked on it again today, and on this curly ambrosia maple bowl.
Things look brighter now.

Ted Calver
02-21-2010, 8:29 PM
George...You picked a good way to break the 'funk'. That sure is some beautiful figure!! Very nice.

alex carey
02-21-2010, 8:33 PM
wow that is some curly wood.

Thomas Canfield
02-21-2010, 8:59 PM
George,

Looks GREAT. Nice shape and thickness. You did not give dimensions, but it looks light and delicate to hold. Great use of the wood.

Ken Glass
02-21-2010, 9:13 PM
George,
Great looking bowl. Nice form and finish. I totally understand the "Funk". Kind of been there myself lately. Winters seems to be lasting a long time this year. lets hope for an early spring.

Donny Lawson
02-21-2010, 9:13 PM
Now that has some curl about it.Those are hard to come by.It looks great.
Donny

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2010, 9:16 PM
Wow! Talk about a 3-D effect! Very nice bowl! Love the way it grabs the light!

Hope this means you are going to get started turning again - always enjoy your work!

John Keeton
02-21-2010, 9:23 PM
Beautiful wood!!! Nice bowl, and hopefully the start of new energy for you. Winter is about the only time I get shop time in. Spring brings lots of other things going on, then summer mowing and chores, then deer season.... Dang, its already winter again!!:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2010, 9:25 PM
George.....you may have taken a break from turning but you sure didn't lose any skills! Gorgeous piece on a classic form that allows the wood to be the star of the show! Nicely done sir!

Thom Sturgill
02-21-2010, 9:28 PM
Beautiful wood and excellent presentation. I know what you mean about winter funk, and I live in Florida :confused:

Curt Fuller
02-21-2010, 9:35 PM
George, it looks like the hiatus served you well. That's quite a bowl.

David E Keller
02-21-2010, 10:26 PM
That's beautiful. I love the simple form and gorgeous wood.

Richard Madison
02-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Another lovely piece helps de-funk the turner. It's a beauty George.

steven carter
02-22-2010, 8:45 AM
George,

I don't know if that bowl got you out of your funk or not, but it is sure helping mine! Beautiful to say the least.

Steve

charlie knighton
02-22-2010, 8:56 AM
very nice, shape and figure

Chris Stolicky
02-22-2010, 10:16 AM
There you go again - show off!

I like it.

Was that from one of the pieces we hauled up the hill?

George Guadiane
02-22-2010, 10:24 AM
There you go again - show off!

I like it.

Was that from one of the pieces we hauled up the hill?

First, I want to say thank you to everyone for their kind comments.

I WISH that the wood you helped me with was as nice as this... Here's the story:

A while ago, I heard that good form makes it difficult to the size of a piece. I was curious about this one, so I didn't post the size (I kind of like it). The bowl came from a local tree that this new friend had been cutting up for firewood (don't worry,there's a lot more and BIG pieces full of figure, I'm sure)...
I would have made a bigger thing, but this was the biggest piece I could salvage from the scrap.
3 3/8 inches in diameter by 1 7/16 inches high. THIN (passes light http://www.woodcentral.com/webbbs/smileys/biggrin.gif ).
Those are my breakfast vitamins in the bowl for scale.

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Wow George that is a great looking bowl. Nice form and the figure well wow is all I can say.