PDA

View Full Version : Larger Domino?

Brian Jarnell
02-21-2010, 8:04 PM
There is talk in England of a new larger Domino,as yet unseen.

What is the word in USA,where I am sure it will first appear?

Would be handy for those bigger jobs!

Van Huskey
02-21-2010, 8:14 PM
Try the Festool forum I am sure they have any buzz.

Wider would be a non-issue for me, deeper mortises would be useful though.

Brian Jarnell
02-21-2010, 8:18 PM
Try the Festool forum I am sure they have any buzz.

Wider would be a non-issue for me, deeper mortises would be useful though.
Bigger bits too would be nice as well as depth.

Brice Burrell
02-21-2010, 11:03 PM
An advanced prototype of the large Domino was/is making the rounds to certain individuals in the US (I'm not one of them). Festool sales reps have been stopping by shops to demo it. Also an impact driver. Everyone is pretty tight lipped about it so there isn't much info out yet. No word on if this will make to market or not.

Brian Jarnell
02-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Shouldn't be too taxing making it bigger,but then I find it easy sitting here in my chair.;)

Van Huskey
02-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Shouldn't be too taxing making it bigger,but then I find it easy sitting here in my chair.;)

The person in the chair is the one I am afraid of... the bean counter that sets the price for this one. The current one is umm well rather pricey.

Brian Jarnell
02-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Average wage of a cabinet maker here is about 65k per annum.

Cost with biscuits is $2000.

And you think you are hard done by!

Rick Lizek
02-22-2010, 5:42 AM
That would be a slot mortiser which would be a stationary tool. Goes back to at least the 50's in Europe. One makes their own tenon stock which can be any size.
Can't imagine a Domino getting larger and still being a handheld tool. The slot mortiser is the way to go for a shop tool. The Domino is designed more for doing site work.

Brian Jarnell
02-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Well Rick,the word is,that the Domzilla is on the way.

By the way I have a slot morticer.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/cicero1520/Mortiser1.jpg

Jeff Duncan
02-23-2010, 1:27 PM
I don't doubt they've made one, and I'd have to imagine they've done their homework as far as market demand and such. But I have to scratch my head at this one. I also run a slot mortiser and I can't imagine a handheld tool holding up to the forces exerted by larger, deeper bits. Are we going to see something like a 1/2" dia bit cutting a 2"+ deep slot by 2" wide?
It'll be very interesting to see how they've engineered this new tool.

JeffD

Mike Henderson
02-23-2010, 1:32 PM
I'd be happy with the max cutter of 10mm but a deeper cut than 28mm. But when you cut to 28mm, the Domino starts to shake. I have to cut slowly and make several push and pulls to get to that depth. I imagine they'll have to do something special to take the depth to about 38mm (1.5").

Mike

Matt Meiser
02-23-2010, 1:44 PM
That would be a slot mortiser which would be a stationary tool. Goes back to at least the 50's in Europe.

Festo even made one according to a guy I know who is buying one from about that time.