PDA

View Full Version : Faxing over the Internet

Dan Mitchell
02-21-2010, 7:09 PM
I have a scanned document I would like to send to a fax number in another state. My understanding is this can be done entirely online, through various services. Anyone have any info on this, or know of an appropriate, hopefully free, service?

Mike Henderson
02-21-2010, 7:19 PM
You can absolutely do that over the Internet and for free. I don't remember the site I went to but if you Google something like "free fax" you'll get a bunch of hits.

Mike

Dan Mitchell
02-21-2010, 7:23 PM
You can absolutely do that over the Internet and for free. I don't remember the site I went to but if you Google something like "free fax" you'll get a bunch of hits.

Mike

Mike - Yeah I did that and as you say, you do get a bunch of hits. I was wondering though if anyone had any personal experience with a single, reliable service for this, since if nothing else, I can imagine a wealth of potential security issues, depending on the content of the document being sent.

Thanks for the reply.

Dan

Lee Schierer
02-22-2010, 7:56 AM
I use the fax modem in my computer to send scanned documents to fax machines. A two page document takes less than 3 minutes to transmit.

Lee

Charles Wiggins
02-22-2010, 9:07 AM
Dan,

I used faxzero (http://faxzero.com/) a couple of times YEARS ago and was pleased, but the things I was sending weren't all that sensitive, so I don't really have a recommendation other than it was free and simple to use.

Charles

Dave Johnson29
02-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I have a scanned document I would like to send to a fax number in another state.

For around 8-bucks you can buy a plug in fax modem for a desktop. If you have a laptop then for around 20-bucks a USB fax modem.

Both should come with a CD that will have a Fax printer driver. If not there are about a gazillion free fax printer drivers online.

With the modem you are assured security and can fax anything scanned or written in word processors. Just select the fax "printer" instead of the normal printer.

Matt Meiser
02-22-2010, 12:10 PM
If its a one time thing, take the original to Kinkos or an office supply superstore and they will do it for a couple bucks.

Bill Cunningham
02-23-2010, 9:42 PM
I have a sign outside my shop that says FAX SERVICE.. It only brings in a couple of hundred bucks a year now, but at one time it would bring in 2-3k a year.. Now, fax machines are dirt cheap, and everyone that needs one buys one. Same for colour copies. Used to do a lot of those. Now you can buy a printer/scanner/fax/copier combo for under a hundred bucks, I can't even put a one colour cartridge in my machine for that.. In the years to come, that's where lasers may be!