PDA

View Full Version : My woods bugging me!

Josh Bowman
02-21-2010, 6:27 PM
I just got started on my new workbench. I'm using some old maple that was stored in a barn. I pulled a big fat juicy worm out of a hole the other day in one of the boards. As I was planning the wood, I noted holes in some pieces, indicating more worms. What is an effective way to kill them? A friend of mine built a bench out of the same stock and said he would see a hole appear from time to time. I'd like to avoid that experience.

Michael Peet
02-21-2010, 6:41 PM
I don't know how cold it gets in TN, but up here in NY I put any boards with suspicious holes out in the garage for the winter.

Mike

Josh Bowman
02-21-2010, 7:02 PM
I don't know how cold it gets in TN, but up here in NY I put any boards with suspicious holes out in the garage for the winter.

Mike
We've had lots of freezing weather this year and this wood was on "the mountain" where it's even colder. Don't know how sustained the cold has been up there, but it's in a 60 degree shop now.

george wilson
02-21-2010, 7:41 PM
There is a THICK liquid made of borax IIRC for killing worms in wood. It isn't real cheap,though. I think it costs about $30.00 a gallon,or more.

Leo Graywacz
02-21-2010, 7:56 PM
Heating the wood to 140F is the proper way to rid the wood of bugs. A couple of hours will do. Essentially you would be kiln drying the wood, but not for a sustained period of time.

David Gendron
02-21-2010, 9:52 PM
Do you have access to a comercial freezer? That would do the tric, 1 days at -30 and they are all dead!!

Josh Bowman
02-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Do you have access to a commercial freezer? That would do the trick, 1 days at -30 and they are all dead!!
I think the local McDonald's might not appreciate me freezing my boards next the the big macs. I was hoping for something that I could just locally squirt in the holes that would kill them. Also wondered if using poly or lacquer as a finish would smother them.

Darnell Hagen
02-21-2010, 10:14 PM
I think the local McDonald's might not appreciate me freezing my boards next the the big macs.

Especially if you tell them it's to kill bugs.

You could call an exterminator, but if the lacquer doesn't smother them, the chemicals will. However, it's not a great idea to finish a workbench top.

I've no experience, but Google led me to this:

http://www.pestproducts.com/boracareinfo.htm

David Gendron
02-21-2010, 11:31 PM
The thing is, what d you do with the one you can't see? How long are the boards? If they are 6' or less, they should fit in a home freezer. What about fuming the wood, like they do with amonia(I think) for Oak?

Josh Bowman
02-22-2010, 6:23 AM
The thing is, what d you do with the one you can't see? How long are the boards? If they are 6' or less, they should fit in a home freezer. What about fuming the wood, like they do with amonia(I think) for Oak?
Boards are 8 foot long and suger maple.