PDA

View Full Version : Cross Cut Sled left or right of blade?

Jeremy Killingbeck
02-21-2010, 6:18 PM
I just purchased a Incra Miter Express Sled to go with my Incra 1000HD miter gauge. I was planning to put the sled on the left side of the blade, but the instructions recommended on a left tilt saw to have the sled on the right side. What do you guys think?

Brian Kent
02-21-2010, 6:26 PM
Jeremy,

I very occasionally use the sled with a tilt on the blade, so I put the sled on the right.

Brian

Jeremy Killingbeck
02-21-2010, 7:40 PM
Are there advantages to having the sled on the right or left of the blade?

Van Huskey
02-21-2010, 7:56 PM
Are there advantages to having the sled on the right or left of the blade?

What you are comfortable with AND depending on the arbor tilt on your saw and if you cut anything with the sled with the blade tilted. I personally prefer it on the left.

Joe Scharle
02-21-2010, 8:17 PM
I don't like miter gages...gave my brother my $299 unit. But even though I use sleds, I still need bevel cut capability, so one sled needs to be away from the tilt.

Glen Butler
02-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Your poll doesn't include both. I only have one sled that doens't bridge the blade and it sits on the right. More table there.

Gary Muto
02-24-2010, 9:14 PM
I have a right tilt saw and use my sled on the left. I've only bevel cut with it once that I remember.

I planned to make another sled to ride on the right side but I haven't had the need yet. If I had a left tilt saw I would likely put the sled on the right for safety reasons.

Drew Eckhardt
02-25-2010, 9:51 PM
I just purchased a Incra Miter Express Sled to go with my Incra 1000HD miter gauge. I was planning to put the sled on the left side of the blade, but the instructions recommended on a left tilt saw to have the sled on the right side. What do you guys think?

I have a left tilt saw, Incra Miter Express sled on the right side, and have used it for bevel cuts. Works fine.

Jack Clark
03-08-2010, 5:33 PM
I have a left tilt saw, Incra Miter Express sled on the right side, and have used it for bevel cuts. Works fine.

Drew,

Can I assume that you didn't cut into the Incra sled when you made those bevel cuts?

Thanks

Phil Thien
03-08-2010, 7:58 PM
The reason you want it on the RIGHT of the LEFT TILT saw is that if you are putting a bevel on the piece you want the finished side UP for the best cut quality.

Art Mulder
03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Your poll doesn't include both.

Yeah, what he said.

BOTH.

My main crosscut sled (http://www.wordsnwood.com/2002/j.sled2/) straddles the blade and rides in both miter slots.

I also have another sled that strictly goes on one side, but I don't really like it much, and rarely use it.

In any case, I never use the sled with the blade at any position other than 90 degrees, so the fact that it is a left or right tilt is meaningless.