PDA

View Full Version : Workbench top construction

Joshua Simulcik
02-21-2010, 6:16 PM
I want to start putting together Roy Underhill's Roubo bench. Wood selection is a little sketchy out here in the middle of nowhere as far as I can tell (we just moved), so I don't know if I can get a 10' length of 12/4 hard maple or similar.

Wandering around the local BORG, there is nothing but "whitewood" or PT. Except, that is, for 1"x12"x6' and smaller in red oak and poplar. What bad, bad woodworking thing will happen if I tried to face-glue 4 of those bad boys together for use as my benchtop?

Any other suggestions from those who have 'been there, done that' would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Gibson
02-21-2010, 6:57 PM
If you just moved to near Fort Leonard Wood then you should be able to find several Places to get good lumber within an hours drive. I think an hour is reasonable, especially when you are making a bench that you will spend hours upon hours at.

I grew Up in Lincon Co. MO and I remember there was pleanty of lumber to be had, just have to dig a little and you will find it.

Matt Radtke
02-21-2010, 7:21 PM
Nothing really bad would happen, but if you're going to use borg lumber anyway, just get some 2x12s, rip them down, and face glue those. Mine are roughly 3 1/4 wide (thick?) and are getting use to my shop now.

Pretty sure I paid right around $40 for the whole top. It'll end up roughly 3x23x84, once I filter out the bad, cut the ends down, etc.

David Gendron
02-21-2010, 10:26 PM
You should be abble to find a few wood/lumber yards in the area?!? You could look for a different wood like Yellow Pine, DF, Ash. I got 2 big pieces of DF 4x12x98 and that will become the top for my next bench!
Good luck!

John Sanford
02-21-2010, 11:52 PM
If you're there at Ft. Lost in the Woods, and you have access to the base, they may have a woodshop on base that can probably point you towards good local sources for hardwoods.

John Schreiber
02-22-2010, 9:00 AM
Often if you go with longer lengths and greater widths of dimensional lumber, you will find that it is clearer and better quality.

Avoid PT lumber; you don't want the chemicals that it's been treated with to turn into dust and get into your lungs.

Joshua Simulcik
02-22-2010, 2:52 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, all. Unfortunately, no wood shop here. The yellow pages are all hardwood flooring places and one mill that I can't find, and Woodfinder puts the closest places in St. Louis. I'm thinking it's still worth calling those places and seeing what the biggest stuff they have is. Two hours isn't that far if they can get me what I need at decent cost.