PDA

View Full Version : Visit with a SoCal Creeker

Jim Becker
10-29-2004, 10:30 AM
My business travel this week took me to (not-so-sunny-but-rainy) southern California...and afforded the opportunity for an extended visit with Mark Singer and his family. I have to say that it was a great experience to see his woodworking and architectural accomplishments up-close and personal...there is more talent in this man's little finger than I have in my whole being!

The Singer's home is incredible, mixing the very contempory with a wonderful feeling of warmth. The design is such that you almost don't realize you are indoors...and I'll leave Mark's "trade secrets" on that point for him to 'splain to visitors! His own furniture is throughout the house and is a good lesson about how multiple species can happily coexist in the same space. Everything "belongs", including the custom built-ins. It's a good example where design plays as much a part as good craftsmanship...Mark exhibits both all the time.

The woodworking shop is great, too...you don't even need to turn on the lights most of the time due to two very large diffused sky lights set in the very high ceiling. I had the opporunity to see, fondle and even try out a bunch of wonderful Neander tools in Mark's collection.

At any rate, I'm very thankful to Mark and his family for the warm hospitality and hope to reciprocate one of these days. Two pics...a couple of fellows in the shop with the "supervisor" and one that shows some of the incredible view from the Singer residence.

Keith Starosta
10-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Very cool, Jim! It's great that your "day job" affords you the opprotunity to meet all of the 'Creek friends.

Keith

Jason Tuinstra
10-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Nice post, Jim. Mark's place looks very, very nice - and it has a woodshop!? What more could you want. A view and a shop - now that's living!!!

Jack Hogoboom
10-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Jim,

Thanks again for another of your travelogues. Just further evidence that someone should be paying you for this. Mark is an amazing guy. I wish there were more pictures. Maybe you can get him to post some.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Jack Hogoboom
10-29-2004, 11:35 AM
I assume Chris will be creating a new avatar for Mark....

John Miliunas
10-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Way cool, Jim! :cool: I'm envious to the nth degree! Never been to the left coast (hmmmmm....in thinking about it, *neither* coast! :( ), but it looks like that would be a wonderful trip, eclipsed only by spending some time with the likes of Mr. Singer! :) I'd consider you quite lucky! Thanks for the post and very, VERY mini tour. :cool:

Jim Becker
10-29-2004, 12:02 PM
I assume Chris will be creating a new avatar for Mark....
What's wrong with the one I already created?? :D But I suppose I could supply another one from this set of pictures for "variety"...:p

Thanks for the post and very, VERY mini tour.
I have many more pictures, but most duplicate what Mark has previously posted. I forgot to shoot the shop, unfortunately. But the house has been featured in a number of magazines...justifiably so.

Mark's place looks very, very nice - and it has a woodshop!?
...and a very nice professional office for his architectural business. Everything "matches", too!! :D

Bob Marino
10-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Jim,

Lucky you!

From Mark's prior postings, his house and furniture are incredibly beautiful..and that view! Wow.

Bob

Christian Aufreiter
10-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Jim,

Lucky you!

From Mark's prior postings, his house and furniture are incredibly beautiful..and that view! Wow.

Bob

ACK!!!
I'm enthused about this wonderful architecture.

Mark Singer
10-29-2004, 2:29 PM
I really enjoyed Jim's visit. He is a great guy and knows way more than he lets on. He had a chance to meet my wife, Myriam and Ryan and Jessica , my son and daughter. We sampled a couple of meals at 2 of my restaurants and even watched a movie on the home theater...."Heat" its a great one if you haven't seen it.

Meeting Jim was inspirational for me...we both share woodworking as a means of therapy and relaxation. Creativity is born from feelings of inner peace and woodworking creates this spirit that finds its way into other areas of our daily lives. It seems to open avenues of life beyond woodworking itself...in the day I spent with Jim, I could see he shared these thoughts.

The internet and especially SMC is a great meeting ground for people with similar interests...you meet someone and then someday you really meet them!
This was how it was with Jim ...in person he is everything and more of the Jim we know and that says a whole lot. I will say it once again....SMC is a very special place!

Rich Konopka
10-29-2004, 3:24 PM
Jim:

Coming from a former road warrior (1M Miles +) you are forunate to be able to turn the hassles and misery of Business travel into a pleasurable and memorable experience.