PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to stop this? Computer Question

Chris DiCiaccio
10-29-2004, 10:24 AM
All of a sudden I get this message when I go to a website:
"Can''t find SHDocVwCtl.WebBrowser, please check that the address is correct" I have to click it off each time, nothing happens, just annoying.
Any help would be appreciated.

larry merlau
10-29-2004, 10:37 AM
actually if that doesnt work try gettin rid of the old prefernce file fo ryour browser or exploreer for example. then reboot the puter and it will rewrite your prefernce file. works for the mac side and should for the pc. i am surew there are more gurus that can give you more detailed and better info but that has worked for me. try john millians from wisconsin

John Miliunas
10-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Chris, this sounds like some type of malware or spyware tripping you up. A few things, which are relatively easy to do: 1) Anti-virus. Make sure you're completely protected, up-to-date and run a system scan. 2) Do a "google" for "Adaware". Download, install, check and install any updates and run it. Let it do whatever repairs it finds. 3) Do a "google" for "Spybot S&D". Repeat as you did for "Adawre". 4) If you run Internet Explorer as your browser, do a "google" and find "cwshredder". Download, install, etc...

If between these exercises you can't get rid of the error, you've got something more deeply embedded. If you're running Windows XP and can determine when exactly this started, you can also do a "System Restore" to a date just previous to the occurrence. There are caveats with most of the above. For Adaware and Spybot, if you ended up with some type of malware that piggy-backed on another "freeware" app or such, then there's a good chance that app will no longer work if you allow the changes to be made. Same goes for the "System Restore", except that will also include all programs which you may have installed after the "restore" date. Let us know if any of this helps you out. :)

BTW, it's a good idea for all Windows users to install Adaware & Spybot S&D and run them on a regular basis! (I do mine, at least, weekly!) Also, the Pop-Up Blocker from Google does a very nice job in preventing much of the problems with sites that like to "install" some of these "bots". Good luck! :cool:

larry merlau
10-29-2004, 1:11 PM
"Can''t find SHDocVwCtl.WebBrowser, please check that the address is correct" I have to click it off each time, nothing happens, just annoying.

that john was the man for the job. thanks for keepin me honest john :D

Michael Cody
10-29-2004, 2:32 PM

This particular VB control is very troublesome based on the amount of info on the web about it.. it could very easily be a spyware program or just bad code at a particular site. It's used for showing documents and printing among other items. I would scan for spyware and delete temp internet files myself .. see if anything is fixed..