PDA

View Full Version : Drill Chuck Question

Gerold Griffin
02-21-2010, 3:29 PM
I finally got lucky on this one. Its a Jacobs Chuck and when I got it cleaned up I found out it was a No. 14N. Done a quick search on this and it takes a 3JT mount and runs somewhere around $170 new. Considering I had enough left over from a ten dollar bill for a couple of soda's I think I done okay.
The plan is to get a arbor with a #2 MT on the long end and a 3JT on the short end and use it on the lathe which should be no problem. Now I got a question. I would not use it that much but I would like to have a second arbor that I could also put the chuck on and use it as a live tailstock chuck?
I Know the rule, no pics never happened.
Still got some more clean up to go but its getting there!

Mark Hubl
02-21-2010, 3:34 PM
The head stock and tail stock usually are both MT2. Should work in both. As for live you've got me. It will not be live in the tailstock, but can be used for boring. Do you want to make it live? Why?

P.S. Check ebay for arbors usually a good assortment available.

Gerold Griffin
02-21-2010, 3:48 PM
Mark: The idea of using a live drill chuck in the tailstock would be to help support small turnings like dowels, or maybe a pen mandrel someday. Yes, with the arbor I have picked out already it can go in the headstock or tailstock. The use of a live chuck on the tailstock won't get that much use probably at times it might be just the ticket.

Mark Hubl
02-21-2010, 4:21 PM
I see where you a going. I haven't seen a live arbor on it's own. Penn State has several live center adapters and a kit that includes the chuck, so does Little Machine Shop.

Thom Sturgill
02-21-2010, 6:17 PM
They make a chuck adapter that is a live center. Its primarily used to make sure that you maintain alignment when transferring from faceplate/screw-chuck to scroll chuck.

Most pen mandrels are designed for a 60degree live center to support the end. Some live center kits contain a cup center used for supporting dowels or finials.

charlie knighton
02-21-2010, 6:43 PM
well, i used to have a delta, i would put jacobs chuck in tailstock with bit and drill depth hole, the tailstock quill handle could be tighten or not just not locked, no problem

i bought a jet, 1642, anyway, 1st time i went to drill depth hole the tailstock quill handle was not engaged. without me turning the handwheel, the bit drilled itself, i had to turn the power off to stop the drilling. usually i drill an inch, get shavings out of hole, drill next inch. i had what you called solid form with drill bit stuck in it about 6 inches, guess what, had to buy new drill bit and i look at the form in the corner every once in a while and now i can laugh about it

back to question, if you plan to use jacobs chuck as revolving center be sure to tighten but not lock the tailstock quill handle and have your hand on the emergancy stop button

tell us how it comes out!!!!!!!!!!

Leo Van Der Loo
02-21-2010, 9:09 PM
Gerold make sure you get a MT that's threaded, so you can use a drawrod when using it in the headstock spindle, as the MT is very likely to come loose and a flying chuck is not something you want, also likely to damage the spindle MT surface.
As for using it as a live chuck in the tailstock, I never seen it done, but one way to do this would be with an adapter that would screw onto a live center and has the JT on the other end, it can be done, but I'm quite sure it's going to be a custom made job, the Oneway live center has a 3/4 X 19TPI end on it that you can buy and use for this, good luck :-))