PDA

View Full Version : Another Built in

Craig D Peltier
02-21-2010, 3:19 PM
Heres a 14 foot built in. Wood is Birch stained like cherry. Pretty easy but alot of work. Something like 26 shelves and 14 doors.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/puravida74/Wood/Nicksbuiltinfinished-1.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/puravida74/Wood/NicksBuiltinfinished2.jpg

Dan Forman
02-21-2010, 4:25 PM
Very nice. What was your staining technique? It came out very even for birch.

Dan

Gene Crain
02-21-2010, 5:47 PM
Nice work. How do mitered doors hold up in that area? It is amazing how many parts go into a set of cabinets. Did you outsource any componets?

Gene Crain
plantasymaderas dot com

Craig D Peltier
02-21-2010, 6:31 PM
Thanks for the comment.

I outsource. I know he sprayed it on, I think it had a very slight mix of white paint in it. He said that keeps it sort of even. Then he tinted the lacquer to blend.

Very nice. What was your staining technique? It came out very even for birch.

Dan

Nice work. How do mitered doors hold up in that area? It is amazing how many parts go into a set of cabinets. Did you outsource any componets?

Gene Crain
plantasymaderas dot com

So far so good, its been 3 years an no issues. Why in humid parts they do not?
I only outsourced the finish.

Gene Crain
02-21-2010, 7:25 PM
Thanks for the comment.

I outsource. I know he sprayed it on, I think it had a very slight mix of white paint in it. He said that keeps it sort of even. Then he tinted the lacquer to blend.

So far so good, its been 3 years an no issues. Why in humid parts they do not?
I only outsourced the finish.....if I had that answer I would be on vacation forever!!! I have built and outsourced mitered doors and here in Los Cabos with humidity swings from 30% to close to 90% weird things happen to doors like those!

Gene Crain
plantasymaderas dot com

John Thompson
02-21-2010, 9:31 PM
Nice job on the build Craig.. not an over-complicated build but.. a heck of a lot of work in that much mass. Your source did a nice job on the spray tint also. The whole thing looks great!

Van Huskey
02-21-2010, 10:13 PM
I like the figure in the birch. Was there some spalting in the panels? I have some very nicely spalted Russian birch ply I have been saving for the right project.

Craig D Peltier
02-22-2010, 1:41 AM
I like the figure in the birch. Was there some spalting in the panels? I have some very nicely spalted Russian birch ply I have been saving for the right project.

Yes very thin lines on a couple of them.

Thanks

Jim Becker
02-22-2010, 9:30 PM
Craig, that's wonderful work!