PDA

View Full Version : Walnut bowl 13" X 4½"

Leo Van Der Loo
02-21-2010, 12:57 PM
I've been finishing some bowls the last couple of days, here's one of them.
Comments welcome as always of course :D

142764 142765 142766 142767

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2010, 1:02 PM
Very classy looking Leo! Great colors, finish and form! Really like your stylized rim area! Something different!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing some more of your work real soon!

charlie knighton
02-21-2010, 1:23 PM
very ncie....

Tony De Masi
02-21-2010, 4:21 PM
Wonderful work Leo. Love the rim detail too. And to top it off you're turning my favorite wood to turn so what's not to love.

Tony

David E Keller
02-21-2010, 4:29 PM
Looks good... Very interesting rim treatment.

John Keeton
02-21-2010, 5:16 PM
Leo, that is a really beautiful piece of walnut - very nice color. I love the form, and smoooootthh bead on the rim!! Do you roll those with a spindle gouge or a bowl gouge?

Craig Powers
02-21-2010, 5:39 PM
What finish/procedure do you use? Beautiful work. I really like it.

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2010, 6:06 PM
Really a beautiful bowl Leo. Gotta love walnut. Love the rim.

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2010, 6:47 PM
Leo,

Beautiful bowl, rim, and finish. The finish?

Harvey

Michael Jasani
02-21-2010, 7:15 PM
very pretty!!!

Thomas Canfield
02-21-2010, 9:05 PM
Leo,

You have a way of getting the most out of the wood. The natural edge sections on the outer rim works well. Another masterpiece - definitely unique and not mass produced.

Donny Lawson
02-21-2010, 9:11 PM
Very nice design.
Donny

Leo Van Der Loo
02-22-2010, 4:15 PM
Very classy looking Leo! Great colors, finish and form! Really like your stylized rim area! Something different!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing some more of your work real soon!

Thank you Steve, it is just a bowl, but those little extras do set them apart :)

very ncie....

Thanks Charlie :)

Wonderful work Leo. Love the rim detail too. And to top it off you're turning my favorite wood to turn so what's not to love.

Tony

Thanks Tony, yes nice wood, but it has it's quirks at times :D

Looks good... Very interesting rim treatment.

Thanks David :D

Leo, that is a really beautiful piece of walnut - very nice color. I love the form, and smoooootthh bead on the rim!! Do you roll those with a spindle gouge or a bowl gouge?

Thanks John, true this Walnut has nice color, they are not all the same, the bead was probably done partially with the bowl gouge when hollowing and probably finished with a small spindle gouge, I'm not sure, I'm not very disciplined in using specific tools for beats or ............, it's often what's close at hand and will do the job that gets used for it ;)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-22-2010, 4:22 PM
very pretty!!!

Thank you Michael :D

Leo,

You have a way of getting the most out of the wood. The natural edge sections on the outer rim works well. Another masterpiece - definitely unique and not mass produced.

Thanks Thomas, Ha yes, there's were my "one of a kind" comes into play, it's a challenge in a way, but it is also what I enjoy, it is my approach to each piece of wood as a new identity, and a unique piece, which it really is of course, and so the outcome is never assured or the same, thanks :D

Very nice design.
Donny

Thank you Donny :D

Karl Card
02-22-2010, 6:52 PM
Very pretty bowl. I absolutely love walnut, well most walnut. I like it when it looks like what you have there. I had some boards that had alot of sapwood on the edges and was very pretty was going to make a mantle but then the boards went warped so bad I couldnt even joint them so I made pen blanks..

Alan Tolchinsky
02-22-2010, 8:02 PM
Love that bowl. Finish is top notch and the contrast between the different colors in the wood is breath taking. I would have preferred the rim to be round but I really like the bead you did there. Could you elaborate on your finish technique?

Leo Van Der Loo
02-22-2010, 9:27 PM
Very pretty bowl. I absolutely love walnut, well most walnut. I like it when it looks like what you have there. I had some boards that had alot of sapwood on the edges and was very pretty was going to make a mantle but then the boards went warped so bad I couldnt even joint them so I made pen blanks..

Thanks for commenting Carl, your boards next time sticker them well and loads lots of weight on top, that should help a lot ;)

Love that bowl. Finish is top notch and the contrast between the different colors in the wood is breath taking. I would have preferred the rim to be round but I really like the bead you did there. Could you elaborate on your finish technique?

Thanks Alan, done round ones Alan, got to do some other kinds as well ;) :D

I pulled this out the LV site, and it's exactly what I do, just stick to the rules and you'll get a very nice finish, HTH :)

Alan Tolchinsky
02-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Leo, Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to check it out. I hear you on trying different things. I really think it's very important to stretch your capabilities and I applaud you for pushing the envelope.