PDA

View Full Version : Help indentify older Grizz jointer

Rob Giordano
02-21-2010, 12:19 PM
I am interested in a jointer that I have not seen yet, I live almost two hours from the guys house.

Anyway he describes the jointer as being around 20 years old and that it looks like a G0654 except that it is all green. I have not been able to Identify the predecessor of the G0654 and was hoping that someone here could. And/or tell me where to look for the model number, he says that he found a serial number but no model number.

Also I seem to have read that Grizzly tools have improved over the years, should I stay away from older ones?

Thanks,

Rob

John Harden
02-21-2010, 1:04 PM
I used to have a 6" Grizzly jointer that I bought new about 15-18 years ago. It had the old style cabinet that was sheet metal and you assembled it with screws.

It worked just fine though the fence was warped about 1/8-3/16" or so. Didn't really affect using the machine as it wasn't twisted.

Quality was in line with the $400 or so I paid for it. I had it about 10 years or so and sold it for $250, so not a bad deal. It still worked just fine.

My advice would be to go check it out and take a good straight edge to see if the tables are, or can be made flat. That's the most important issue. Don't worry too much about some sag as you can always shim the dovetail ways. I had to do that on mine and used pieces of a soda can I cut up with scissors.

Regards,

John