PDA

View Full Version : CA fumes

keith zimmerman
10-29-2004, 9:54 AM
I was applying a very liberal amount of thin CA to a blank last night and got hit face-first with a massive dose of the fumes. As I backed away and headed outside for some fresh air, I got to wondering if that was a good thing. I said, "self, that can't be good for you. If you are going to be doing this with any kind of regularity, you should invest in some kind of mask or resperator."

Now, question is, what kind of mask/respirator would be best for use for CA glue fumes?

Any comments or opininions are welcome. I think I want to live long enough to see 54, so I will making a purchase soon.

TIA

keithz

Jim Becker
10-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Consider that law enforcement uses those same fumes to fix fingerprints...great ventilation and/or a cartridge mask is essential. Nasty stuff. I just use a regular cartridge mask with the organic cartridges you would use for other solvent-based products.

Jeremy Niemann
10-29-2004, 4:14 PM
I've seen some catalogues selling a low odor version of CA. It's a little more expensive than the regular though.

Hal Flynt
10-29-2004, 4:26 PM
Too late, you have permanent brain damage! :eek: Quick ship all of your tools to me. :D

It's not good to inhale that stuff, that's why you have to wear a respirator when spraying catalized auto paint. When spraying paint, the droplets could glue your lungs, very bad! I doubt that you did any lasting damage with vapors, but I have a charcoal canister mask that I wear. The cannisters say what they are for on them. My charcoal is for organic vapors erc.

Ted Harris
10-29-2004, 5:55 PM
Now, question is, what kind of mask/respirator would be best for use for CA glue fumes?

Any comments or opininions are welcome. I think I want to live long enough to see 54, so I will making a purchase soon.

TIA

keithz
Hello,
There are many myths about CA glues. One is that CA's contain cyanide; not true.:cool: Breathing the glues is not toxic, though it is an irritant to certain membrane tissue, i.e. eyes, nose, throat, etc.:eek: It cannot even be absorbed into human internal systems.:p Here is a link answering the question as to whether or not CA glues are toxic. (http://www.bsiadhesives.com/Pages/hobby/hfaq/index.html) Just scroll down, it is FAQ #6 on the Bob Smith Industries website.
Even though it is not toxic, I would recommend excellent ventilation or a mask, just to avoid the irritant.:D

Chris Padilla
10-29-2004, 7:37 PM
I did have Mexican for lunch today here in CA but I didn't think the winds carried it so far and in such concentration!! ;) My apologies! :)