PDA

View Full Version : Need Lathe Help

Gy S Kern
02-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am new to turning overall.

I happily purchased a decent lathe Delta 46-700 and it is missing a couple of key components. Specifcally the live center and the Headstock spur center (drive center). The drive center (46-709) is no longer made/available. The live center (46-712) is showing availlable only through Mikes Tools.

My question to forum members is, can you help me identify a quailty chuck or drive center for this particular lathe (preferred chuck) and is there a preferred or recommended live center for this particular lathe that you are using and happy with?

My goal with this lathe is to turn a bagpipe (since I play the pipes) in the future.

The detalils that I have are:

1) No. 2 Mores taper shanks for both parts (drive and live center).
2) Spindle shaft (not sure if the size or there is a standard size)

Thank you in advance.
Gy

Bob Hamilton
02-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi, Gy:
The 46-700 has a #2 morse taper in both the headstock spindle and tailstock so any #2 morse taper spur center or live center will work fine. Drive centers are available in 2 spur, 4 spur, or Stebcenter style. I have a couple of 4 spur centers but hardly use them since getting a Stebcenter. I have the 1/2" Stebcenter and it works really well.

Live centers are available from pretty basic styles up to the more versatile kind with many accessories and attachments like the Oneway. Prices range from $10 - $15 for the basic ones up to $100+ for the premium ones.

Either should be available pretty much anywhere that sells turning equipment: Craft Supplies, Lee Valley, PSI, etc.

Good Luck!
Bob

Paul Atkins
02-21-2010, 11:25 AM
I have said this before, but I would not get a spur center for anything. Stebcenter, safety center or whatever you call it is the superior choice. If you can get the best live center set so much the better. My drive centers and live centers match each other so I can flip the piece without any fussing and they are centered perfectly. This would be an advantage for the pipes you are contemplating. I have three different sizes from 3/4" to 1/4".

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Gy - Welcome to the Creek!

In addition to the above info - your lathe is shown to have a 1" x 8 tpi spindle - which is a very common size. Go to any woodworking retail site and you will be able to find a chuck to fit. As to which one - any of the quality chucks are worth the money - just depends on amount you wish to spend.

Do a search here on chucks and you will find a lot of info.

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Welcome Gy to SMC. You have gotten some good info.

Gy S Kern
02-21-2010, 8:48 PM
Thank you all for the information. You have helped me a lot in understanding what I need for my lathe. I'll keep you posted on what I end up with.

Again, thank you.

Gy

Gy S Kern
02-27-2010, 9:12 PM
Hello again,

Here is what I decided to get.

WoodRiver Multitooth Drive Center 1" diameter MT2
WoodRiver 60 degree Cone Live Center MT2
Teknatool SuperNova 2 Chuck
Threaded body insert for chuck 1" - 8 R&L Thread

Now I'm trying to decide is I should put the money out for the Easy Wood Tools. In particular Ci0 and Ci1.

All the best,
Gy

Thomas Canfield
02-28-2010, 9:37 PM
Gy,
The PSI live center and steb center are avaible from Amazon at a good price. I have both with the PSI live center as a replacement for one on Jet mini lathe. You may want to move up to a better live center later such as the One Way. Good luck.