PDA

View Full Version : No Longer Lurking...

Clark Harbaugh
02-21-2010, 10:27 AM
I am relatively new to posting to the Creek and thought I would share some photos of a couple of projects I have done. There are many more that I will have to take pictures of.

The baby furniture was for the birth of our baby boy that we were blessed with on Jan 4th. For the crib, I also built a toddler bed front and full size bed rails so it will grow with him. Of course I will go nuts the first time crayons get used on it:eek:. The set is made from maple with cherry trim. I still have to make a small book case and toy box to match.

I made the candle holders as christmas gifts. I had the bright idea around the middle of November to make them for everyone. They look simple, but when you start adding up the individual 'bars' that make up the windows, and then realize that each one has dadoes so that they fit together, you start to realize the amount of detailed work was involved. 8 sets in total. The wood is ambrosio maple with jatoba window bars. I got lucky with the maple and it had some terrific quilted figure to it. And it was on clearance at $4/bf (i bought the entire usable stock the store had...).

As with anyone else's posts, comments and snide remarks are welcome:). I will try and dig out a camera to get pictures of some other projects.

Keith E Byrd
02-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Very Nice - The crib is especially nice - I have looked at plans for one of those different times - they almost have to be a labor of love!!

Great job - anxious to see some of your other projects!

John Thompson
02-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Very nicely done... I like the back-splash on the changing table that matchs the top arc in the crib. The bevel on the inside of the tops of those candle holders is a nice touch.

Joe Leigh
02-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Beautiful work Clark, welcome aboard!

Do you happen to have a set of plans for the crib?

Norman Pyles
02-21-2010, 6:05 PM
Clark, congratulations on the new baby boy. Some good looking furniture you have there too.

Carl L Goff
02-21-2010, 6:50 PM
Clark, Nice job on the furniture you made for your son. I think he will turn out ok because he was born on my birthday Jan. 4th.;) Keep up the good work.
Carl

Van Huskey
02-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Big fan of the candle boxes.

John Keeton
02-22-2010, 7:16 AM
Nice work Clark, and the candle boxes are a unique idea. On the dadoes, could you have cut those across a wider board, then ripped the individual bars? Might save a few steps assuming you had the wider stock. Less tearout, as well.

Salem Ganzhorn
02-22-2010, 8:13 AM
Very nicely done... I like the back-splash on the changing table that matchs the top arc in the crib. The bevel on the inside of the tops of those candle holders is a nice touch.

John these are the two things I noticed too. Overall the designs are very cohesive and I like the style.

Clark are these your own designs?

Dave Rathert
02-23-2010, 10:18 AM
This is kinda weird!!! I don’t post here very often but I saw this thread yesterday and had to snap off a few cell phone pics (sorry they are so grainy). We don’t have our baby’s room decorated yet (Due March 31st and my wife’s shower is this weekend so we’ll take it from there) but our room looks eerily similar to yours Clark; right down to the room layout, paint, and carpet color. Crib is hard maple. Changing Table Tray is hard maple with an arched back to match the crib. We were limited on size based on the existing dresser but my wife wanted a place to put wipes etc. so I made a little shelf that opens to a small compartment. I need a minor hinge adjustment to get that to close right. I painted and added maple veneer to the old particle board/poplar dresser.

Clark: Great call on incorporating a 2nd wood species for the slat retainers and trim. Man, I wish I’d thought of that. Did you make any major mods to the plans? I made 3.
1.I used solid maple in all the places the plans called for maple ply.
2.I used M&T joinery for all the slats as opposed to the spacers the plans called for.
3.I replaced the big panels on the ends with slats. Our cribs short side will be facing the door and my wife wanted to be able to see into the crib from the hallway.

I’ve got most of the wood cut for the Toddler Bed piece but I’ve yet to assemble. It looks pretty straight forward but if you ran into any issues I’d like a “heads-up.”
Nice work on everything. You did a great job. Congrats on the baby boy!!!

Joe/Salem: the crib plans can be found in Wood Mag November 2006.

-D

Clark Harbaugh
02-24-2010, 6:32 PM
John these are the two things I noticed too. Overall the designs are very cohesive and I like the style.

Clark are these your own designs?

I would love to tell you they were my own designs, but they aren't. I simply googled 'crib plans' and found both, but I can't remember from which site I downloaded them.

Thanks all for the comments! Love this WW stuff...:D

Clark Harbaugh
02-24-2010, 6:38 PM
This is kinda weird!!! I don’t post here very often but I saw this thread yesterday and had to snap off a few cell phone pics (sorry they are so grainy). We don’t have our baby’s room decorated yet (Due March 31st and my wife’s shower is this weekend so we’ll take it from there) but our room looks eerily similar to yours Clark; right down to the room layout, paint, and carpet color. Crib is hard maple. Changing Table Tray is hard maple with an arched back to match the crib. We were limited on size based on the existing dresser but my wife wanted a place to put wipes etc. so I made a little shelf that opens to a small compartment. I need a minor hinge adjustment to get that to close right. I painted and added maple veneer to the old particle board/poplar dresser.

Clark: Great call on incorporating a 2nd wood species for the slat retainers and trim. Man, I wish I’d thought of that. Did you make any major mods to the plans? I made 3.
1.I used solid maple in all the places the plans called for maple ply.
2.I used M&T joinery for all the slats as opposed to the spacers the plans called for.
3.I replaced the big panels on the ends with slats. Our cribs short side will be facing the door and my wife wanted to be able to see into the crib from the hallway.

I’ve got most of the wood cut for the Toddler Bed piece but I’ve yet to assemble. It looks pretty straight forward but if you ran into any issues I’d like a “heads-up.”
Nice work on everything. You did a great job. Congrats on the baby boy!!!

-D

That's a good looking room:)! I guess there are more people than us that are tired of the whole blue or pink thing, huh? I am still going to paint a decorative stripe around the middle fo the wall to break it up a bit. We are going to make it two small brown stripe with a large white stripe in the middle.

I didnt make any major modifications to the original plans, other than doing M&T instead of spacers like yourself. As for the toddler front and full rails, nothing too unexpected there. I modified the todler front to M&T instead of grooves and spacers as well.

Clark Harbaugh
02-24-2010, 6:42 PM
Nice work Clark, and the candle boxes are a unique idea. On the dadoes, could you have cut those across a wider board, then ripped the individual bars? Might save a few steps assuming you had the wider stock. Less tearout, as well.

Yea, I thought of this on sets 6,7, and 8. Only wish I had thought of it earlier. Still had to spend an enormous amount of time hand sanding each peice after cutting and to 'fine tune' their fit.

Eric Stefl
02-25-2010, 6:54 AM

Just finished that same crib myself, with most of the same modifications as Dave!

FYI, the changing table was in the next issue of Wood magazine.