PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Jam

Bob Kline
02-21-2010, 10:26 AM
My plunger missed the work piece on my Epilog mini and now the plunger is bent and jammed against the table. This happened once before and I remember that it was an easy fix but I can't recall what I did to fix it. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bob

Scott Shepherd
02-21-2010, 10:32 AM
It's been a while since we had the Epilog, but can't you turn it off, reach inside the cabinet and turn the lead screw that controls the table until it's lowered? Then turn it back on?

Steve Clarkson
02-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Bob,

I do it about once a week........

First try hitting the Focus button.......it may let you lower the table.

If that doesn't work.....shut if off, open the front and pull on the rubber cables that lower the table.

Dave Russell Smith
02-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Bob,

I do it about once a week........

Wow thats going some :eek:

Darryl Hazen
02-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Lastly, after you've unjammed it, go into the software and uncheck the auto focus box and focus manually using the "V" bracket that comes with the Epilog. It's just as accurate and eliminates the problem. I removed my auto focus attachment the first week I had my Epilog after doing just what you did.

David Fairfield
02-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Couple of mods--

When you open the cabinet and figure out which way to pull the cable to lower the table, take a marking pen and mark the direction of travel with an arrow and write "TO LOWER TABLE" under it. That way you won't risk jamming it further next time it happens.

I got rid of the punger, it was more trouble than it was worth. It was always wacking into things and I was constantly jamming the table and crunching my work with the autofocus feature. Obviously, once you remove the plunger you want to make absolutely certain you NEVER EVER use autofocus again. :o

Dave

Joe Pelonio
02-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Lastly, after you've unjammed it, go into the software and uncheck the auto focus box and focus manually using the "V" bracket that comes with the Epilog. It's just as accurate and eliminates the problem. I removed my auto focus attachment the first week I had my Epilog after doing just what you did.
Mine's been removed since a few months after I got it too. If the methods mentioned earlier don't work you may have to remove the entire "X" bar assembly, which is not that hard. If you become concerned about the procedure for any of the work epilog can send you written procedures or walk you through it by phone on Monday.

Bob Kline
02-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Wow! The fixes should all be that easy!
Thanks,
Bob

Kim Vellore
02-21-2010, 1:31 PM
I removed mine a week after using it... I do it manually.

Kim

John Noell
02-22-2010, 1:33 PM
It's a nice "feature" to talk about but not much use to most of us. I do so many curved objects that it was not useful. I made an acrylic stick to use as a focus guide to measure from substrate to the bottom of the lens holder. Faster than the snap on "V."

Tom Bull
02-22-2010, 3:24 PM
Ditched mine, too, after I bent my lens holder:eek:.

Eric Edgette
02-22-2010, 3:28 PM
I didn't think so many people took them off but I had to take mine off along with the air assist tube to give me more clearance.

It's a nice feature if you have parts that are flat and take up a good amount of table space but once you get that odd job in there and forget to uncheck the auto focus, you run into issues like this.

Bill Cunningham
02-23-2010, 8:07 PM
The odd time when using autofocus, the laser moved into position unusually slow. With the lid up, there was no problem, with the lid down the slow movement was because the laser was ON :eek:, and burned a path all the way to the focus point. Once it ruined a couple of pieces, I learned never to push the focus button with the lid closed. This 'glitch' is totally unpredictable. It can happen randomly anytime you hit the focus button.

Sandy Henry
03-06-2010, 8:07 PM
Good to know! Happened to me twice...once with a $35 acry award! Couldn't figure out what caused it. Thanks for the info.