PDA

View Full Version : Darn Festools

Philip Johnson
02-21-2010, 9:32 AM
I went to a local store having a tool show and sale with a few manufacture reps present. I didn't really need much but thought a new drill or screw driver would be nice. Dewalt had a drag your old drill in for 100 bucks deal so thought I would use that. It seemed like the Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt were pretty similar,played with em all.

Then I came to the Festool guy, I don't think he liked me very well....oh well. I started with the track saw just because I can't seem to see much use for one in my shop. Trying to figure out what all the hype is about them. I mean if I can get a sheet of ply into my shop and I have to move it to a table to cut it I should be able to get it to the table saw and cut it. Now I will admit it was smooth and quiet and cut nice for something portable...but its not gonna replace my table saw. I guess I was pretty negative about the track saw to him so he walked away from me. I then picked up the T3 drill and played with it for a while, he came back to sell me that. I said its just a tool for putting a screw in a hole in wood, it doesn't do anything the dewalt won,' do, he said whooo wait a min. It has a drill bit head, a head for screwdriver bits, an angle head and an offset head. Now I am a bit intrigued and as I play with it I realize how smooth and quiet it is, made the dewalt seem like it had sand in the gears. I began it appreciate just how nice the Festool was. I sadly went home empty handed I just could not part with 175 bucks for the Dewalt when for only 400 more I could have the Festool. I gotta think a bit before I drop that much on a drill that I don't really need in the first place, but I know I would not be happy with anything less. Any other happy Festool T3 users out there.

Phil

eric buggeln
02-21-2010, 11:26 AM
I have had the c12 for 2 years now. I am a professional remodeler and aspiring woodworker. I use it almost everyday for installs. I also have a cordless and corded Dewalt drill drivers. I havent used the cordless since I got the Festool and only use the corded version in conjunction with my Kreg jig so that the dust collection will automatically turn on. One of the nicest features of the Festool line is that they are considerably lighter then there competitors. If you are using a drill all day your wrist will thank you. The clutch and speed adjustments allow you to perfectly drive screws into all sorts of different materials perfectly. The ability to switch from drill bits to driver is nicer then any other model on the market. The charge time on the batteries is at least half of the Dewalts and the batteries run way longer.

All of these things add up in the remodeling field and may not as much in the workshop, but you will definitely not regret buying a Festool drill driver. I do own most of there tools and feel that they are far superior then there competitors, except for maybe the jigsaw. Eric

John Harden
02-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I have the T3 and it is not worth the money. At half the price, it would be an okay deal.

Festool insists on using proprietary ($$$), snap on chucks, which is a pain. The keyless chuck on my drill doesn't hold worth a darn. It releases just about every time I use it to drill holes in something and I have to fish the bit out of the wood.

Go buy a Makita or Bosch. You'll be much better off.

Not against Festool, as I REALLY like the track saw I have and the small pad sander. Excellent tools and worth the money.

I'm just not impressed with the drill. That reminds me, I think I'll sell it and go buy two Bosch's.

Regards,

John

Caspar Hauser
02-21-2010, 3:58 PM
The keyless chuck on my drill doesn't hold worth a darn. It releases just about every time I use it to drill holes in something and I have to fish the bit out of the wood.

Although I like other aspects of my 12v I have to agree with this. I'm starting to look around for a replacement.

Van Huskey
02-21-2010, 4:03 PM
A lot of owners absolutely LOVE the Festool drills. I have looked at them over and over and played with them some, I just can't see the price. If I had a situation where I would use the eccentric and right angle often and change from the different chucks over and over in the matter of a few minutes I might consider it. Bottom line for me it just isn't a better mousetrap, certainly not twice the mousetrap, for some it is.

Jim Becker
02-21-2010, 9:31 PM
My most used Festool tool is my TDK-12 drill/driver. It gets more action than even my beloved 150/3 sander. Not inexpensive as you point out, but internally, it's built like a tank, unlike most other drill/drivers on the market. I may wear the batteries out over time, but I suspect the tool itself will be working hard for a very, very long time....

Ben Martin
02-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Not to bash the Festool, but I would be very interested to see the internals of one.

For the robotics that I volunteer for we use the Dewalt transmissions and chucks to make 3-speed transmissions for various operations; and after dissecting many of them, I am very very impressed with their level of quality. The gears are hardened, I have broken many bits and reamers on them. I can't imagine that the Festool would have a lot more "under the hood", but perhaps it does...

Here is a link showing pics, of the inside of a Dewalt:
http://homepage.mac.com/joe_balint/.Public/NothingButDewalts_Rev1_0.pdf

Brice Burrell
02-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Hey Phil, here's some help in your blowing $575, my review of the Festool T15+3 drill. http://www.burrellcustomcarpentry.com/subpage86.html

Greg Portland
02-22-2010, 4:36 PM
I mean if I can get a sheet of ply into my shop and I have to move it to a table to cut it I should be able to get it to the table saw and cut it.Ahh, you are trying to lift the panel onto a table? Take a 4'x8' sheet of 1" styrofoam insulation, place it on the floor (or driveway), flop the panel onto the backer & and make your cuts. No lifting of the panel is required. When you are dealing with 3/4"+ MDF, Melamine, or Appleply it is nice to not have to lift the 100lb+ sheet. Note that you could use a regular circ saw, track, and clamps but you'd want to make a finishing cut on the TS.

Bill White
02-22-2010, 4:52 PM
Don't, and will not, have any Festool stuff 'cause the line is WAY out of price/value box for my needs. Having said that, if I was in a constant professional remodeling "bidness" my opiniion might change. 'Til then....
Bill

Joe Jensen
02-22-2010, 5:01 PM
I have the T3 and it is not worth the money. At half the price, it would be an okay deal.

Festool insists on using proprietary ($$$), snap on chucks, which is a pain. The keyless chuck on my drill doesn't hold worth a darn. It releases just about every time I use it to drill holes in something and I have to fish the bit out of the wood.

Go buy a Makita or Bosch. You'll be much better off.

Not against Festool, as I REALLY like the track saw I have and the small pad sander. Excellent tools and worth the money.

I'm just not impressed with the drill. That reminds me, I think I'll sell it and go buy two Bosch's.

Regards,

John

I suspect you have a bad chuck. I've never had that happen with mine. Festool has a fanastic warranty. Use it