PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts

Joe Floyd
02-21-2010, 8:53 AM
Looking to purchase a table saw / Cabinet saw just wondering what the time proven saws are and what opinions might be to sugest which saw to look for. I would like to stay under $1500 USD and need advise.

Cary Falk
02-21-2010, 10:21 AM
If you want a new cabinet saw, the Grizzly line(1023 or 690) is well respected and would fit in your budget. Otherwise, You need to look for a used Unisaw, PM66, Jet, General, etc.

Shane Sura
02-21-2010, 10:27 AM
I have the Jet Xacta Saw. If you catch it during one of the Jet 15% off sales you can get it real close to the price point you are after. I absolutely love this saw and find myself making every available cut with it.

Shane

Rob Hough
02-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Looking to purchase a table saw / Cabinet saw just wondering what the time proven saws are and what opinions might be to sugest which saw to look for. I would like to stay under $1500 USD and need advise.

I just ordered the G0691 for just under that price. Should be here tomorrow, I'll let you know what I think in a day or two. That said - you'll find a ton of other great reviews here, and elsewhere, regarding that same saw (or the g0690).

Richard Dragin
02-21-2010, 10:39 AM
My thoughts are you should have a thread title so people know what you are asking and do a search because this gets asked about three times a week.

If you want time tested that would be a Unisaw but everything changes over time and the new ones aren't as good as the time tested models. Bang for the buck would be the Griz 1023.

Chip Lindley
02-21-2010, 10:57 AM
My Thinking is you will get the most for your money with a good used machine. The Powermatic 66 can be had in your price range. There are lots of capable cabinet saws up for sale now. You just have to find one in your area. Cross-continent freight would add considerably!!

Considering a used TS depends upon if you can afford to wait for an eBay or CraigsList bargain, OR NEED a it now! Grizzly is most often mentioned as the TS with most Bang For The Buck.

Jim Dunn
02-21-2010, 11:21 AM
I would like to stay under $1500 USD and need advise.

When I purchased my new UniSaw I could have bought a new X-5 for $1600. I would look to a Delta dealer and see what kind of a deal he would have on the older model.

Joe Floyd
02-21-2010, 11:56 AM
What is the thoughts on Steel City Table saw ?

Kevin Womer
02-21-2010, 9:14 PM
Joe,
I upgraded from a Delta Contractor last year to a Steel City 3HP steel top table saw and love the thing. I upgraded because I was frustrated aligning the Delta and contractor dust collection is horrible as a rule (on contractor's). It has a couple of riving knives and the fence is very solid. I am impressed with the power in comparison with the saw I had. I like how cabinet saws are easier to align and stay aligned after the bevel setting is used. Most people on here will say buy Grizzly, and that is fine, I own one of their band saws and like it as well. I went with SC because I could go and look at one and check it over, can't do the same with Grizzly unless you find someone that has one nearby (Grizzly can help you find an owner, I believe so you can check one out). The SC is well built and suits me well, I have no complaints on this saw 35900 series.

Van Huskey
02-21-2010, 9:22 PM

Steel City is about the polar opposite from time tested, but it is a solid saw for the money but I would buy a Grizzly 1023 or 690/1 before it. With a firm $1500 budget I would just go with Grizzly unless you but a used saw then a PM 66 first or if you can't find one a Delta Uni.

The Grizzly are the bang for the buck saw and I wouldn't buy anything else unless you can stretch your budget to 3K, then I would say look at the PM2000, Delta Uni and the Sawstop.

From Grizzly you can get a 50" rip with a 3hp Leeson delivered to your door for $1500, hard to beat.

Myk Rian
02-21-2010, 9:23 PM
I love mine. It's an earlier model with 1 3/4hp, iron top. Nice saw.