PDA

View Full Version : Laminated dai

mike rawl
02-21-2010, 8:30 AM
Hi I am a frequent lurker and a very infrequent poster. I saw this picture in a Kezuru Kai news letter and I thought that the neanders would enjoy seeing another way to make a laminated plane body. Enjoy:).

Mark Stutz
02-21-2010, 9:58 AM
Interesting. Is the one on the right made of MDF? wrapped with Oak? The left one looks like smaller rift sawn pieces, "pieced together" then wrapped with oak veneer. I would think it very stable and functional.

Mark

Brian Kent
02-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Mike, When I look up those words "Kezuru Kai" I get "Planing Contest" or "Kezuru = To Pare Off" and "Kai = To cut". Are any of these close to the meaning?

Beautiful ideas for planes.

Pam Niedermayer
02-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Kezurou Kai is a planing contest convention held in Japan and here, more or less yearly. There are also many other types of activity that take place. You can peruse photos from previous years at the Hida site, Kezurou Kai 2001-2006 US (http://www.hidatool.com/kezurou-kai/kezuroukai.html).

Pam

Pam Niedermayer
02-21-2010, 10:42 AM
What's the advantage of making laminated dai?

Pam

mike rawl
02-22-2010, 8:34 AM
Brian, Kezuru 削る means to shave, take a shaving, or to plane. kai 会 keans meeting. It is actually Kezurou kai like Pam wrote. Kezurou is a verb form that means "lets plane" or "shall we plane".

The plane on the right is not made of MDF. it is made of oak. the two pieces have very tight rings and a lot of medullary rays. They are glued up so that the growth rings are opposing each other.

I can't read Japanese well enough to know why they are made the way they are but I would imagine the the reason for the laminated body is to use the opposing forces of the wood to cancel out any wood movement. I would not want to say whether it would make a difference or not on something as small as a plane body but the principle is used to good effect on other things.

Having been to one the Kezurou-kai's I can say that these guys don't mess around. Many of the guys who attend bring microscopes (big ones) to check the edge on their plane irons. I am sure the guy who made these planes built them this way for a reason. I am also certain he has the skill and sensitivity to put whatever benefit, no matter how small, the laminated bodies give him.

I would like to make one myself someday but I am sure that whatever benefit it might confer would be wasted on me. It would be the same as giving a fine cognac to a guy with a PBR palette.

mike rawl
02-22-2010, 8:56 AM
If anyone is interested, if you copy 削ろう会 and put it in google you will find some good pics of past Kezurou kai meetings.

Pam Niedermayer
02-22-2010, 5:06 PM
I would like to make one myself someday but I am sure that whatever benefit it might confer would be wasted on me. It would be the same as giving a fine cognac to a guy with a PBR palette.

I learned to make dai from Inomoto-san. As it turns out, I do it well, won the class planing contest with my dai. The benefit is that I can make all sorts of dai at all sorts of bedding angles wrapped around all sorts of outstanding blades. I can buy blades alone. And this skill extends to all sorts of planes.

Pam, who doesn't really care for beer anymore, maybe the odd Heinicken (sp?)